Greetings, reflections, and thanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coryluv

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi. I've been lurking, reading and learning for a while. Since I just posted on another thread I thought I'd better come and say a proper hi.

I kept my first freshwater community tank nearly 35 years ago. Then I took a long hiatus from fishkeeping. I've been at it again the past 8 years, but never joined a forum on the subject.

One thing I never had that this forum prompted me to get was the API Master Freshwater test kit. It is awesome. Since I really do enjoy playing scientist, it is also fun.

Sadly, I have a small tank. Only 12 gallons. I hope to upgrade to a 30 gallon tank in the coming year. I currently have 6 glow light tetras and 3 julii cory cats. They seem healthy and happy. I do love my bio wheel filter. When the lighting fixture in my hood cracked, I decided to replace it with LEDs (fitting a waterproof aquarium LED "stick" I bought from Hong Kong into my hood). I wish more reasonably priced LEDs hoods were available. Most are very expensive and seem geared to saltwater at this time. Since I use plastic plants, I didn't need to be too precise on the lights, but I do have my lights on a 12 hour timer.

I read more than I post. I figure I'm just an beginner compared to most here. Just because I've been at it a long time, doesn't mean I'm more knowledgeable.

What has changed over the years the most? To me it is the theory of water changes. 35 years ago it was 10% once a week (don't want to stress the fish). Now it is 25% 2x a week. Frankly, I go with the later. Frequent and large enough partial water changes (temperature matched with conditioned water) are to me the single greatest factor to success.

Well hi, all you experts. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge I've already gotten from you.

Back
Top Bottom