Hello Everyone!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Everyone!! New Saltwater Set up...

My Name's Jeff. I have been lurking around here for months, yet just registered!!! First, I'd like to say what a wonderful forum you guys have here!!! Growing up, my dentist had a saltwater tank in his office, and I loved it!!! Ever since then I have dreamed of owning one.

Well, were having a baby soon, so about a month ago, I started my first SW tank for my Bday. I wanted to do something rather simple, as the last thing I wanted to do is kill anything.

I ended up with a 12 gallon Fluval Edge and a small Petsmart stand. I also went with Fiji Pink Live sand and also Nutra Seawater for ease of set up (I live in a condo). The tank came with a 100GPH filter with mech/chem/biomax. I also got a Aqueon 50W heater and a algae magnet.

Got her set up 4 weeks ago. Cycled rather quickly with the live sand, "live water" and also a bottle of smart start complete (this stuff is amazing!). I added two Occ clowns 2 weeks ago. had a small AMM spike to 0.25, but now I am at:

SG: 1.022
PH 8.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
Amm:0

Unfortunately, I bought them the day they came in from my LFS and they didn't make it due to sickness. One went in two days and the other went yesterday (had a 4 inch white string of turd attached to him for 2 days). I replaced them with well established ones (used the feeding trick), and finally have a 100% set. One is yellow (he's crazy, name is cracky) and one is Red (beautiful fish, name is Ruby). I love em!!! I know its kind of small tank for 2 clowns, but they seem really happy and are eating like pigs. Water is excellent also. That smart start did wonders when I got my initial spike!! All is totally well now. I hope to add a cleaner shrimp and maybe a purple fire fish. This will be in a couple more weeks or so.

My tank has no live coral or live rock. Just some artificial live rock with tunnels/cave, and two fake pieces of coral. Its a good looking tank. I REALLY want to do a reef, but am trying to start slow and master fish only first.

Here are a coupe pics of my set up. Very simple and effective so far. I am taking my time and learned some lessons the hard way.
i look forward to meeting people on here, and contributing as much as my limited experience allows.

Cheers everyone!!
Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00976.jpg
    DSC00976.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
So brave to start a salt water tank! It looks amazing! Hope your fish are a happy couple! They are beautiful! Im just a rookie here. One day ill introduce myself, but for now i just wanted to tell you: way to go!!!

Wow. That looks great. I have always wanted clownfish but SW is so expensive......

I hear you, but it wasn't really that bad!!! A little planning and internet shopping goes a LONG way. I got the whole set up done for what JUST the tank and stand would cost at the LFS. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom