Hello from Cambria,Ca

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My name is Damion and I've had at least 1 tank running since 1987.I was burning out on the hobby after years of maintaining a tank with some Cichlid I did not like because he killed the other fish. Anyway my brother died and I took his empty 125G and just moved two torn fin plecos and a Rafael cat from a 55 in to it.

I have very hard water and high pH. I'm thinking about getting 6 or 7 Dennison barbs and 10 zebra Danios and some glass cats. Is this cool?

What are some other hard water community fish and maybe low maintenance plants that would do well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, welcome to AA!

I dont think glass cats do very well in hard water/high pH. All of the livebearers are good hardwater community fish. You could also try a domestic angelfish.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Sorry to hear of your brother. Fish keeping is a hobby a family can enjoy and share. So it is great that you have a nice really large tank you can do a few things!

It is miserable to keep a fish just because its left over, and then not what you like. So now are all the fish you have ones you WANT to have in your tank?

What is your water hardness, do you know the number?

Boesemani Rainbow (Melanotaenia boesemani) or other color variations. Very beautiful fish.

Clown Loaches may be an option to look into; they are really majestic fish as well taken care of adults! Most people who have them shouldn't because they love to shoal together and they are so cute and tiny at the fish store but ultimately their tanks are too small. You wouldn't have that problem!

thank you for the reply

Sinibotia,I read somewhere glass cats could live in hard watter.I'll do more research before I get some.Thanks for the tip on livebeares,I'm shooting towards little schooling fish and I really like the Dennison barb even though they get 4 to 6 inches from what I've read .

Autumsky all I have is some old test strip now and the gh and kh are 300 and the pH is 8.4.I know it would be great for African cichlids,I want to try something different .I really do love cichlids,I've had a lot over the years .
I have 2 royal ? Pecos with some nasty fin problems and a Rafael cat that's maybe 6 inches . Hopefully the Plecos will get better in there new home.these fish were rehomed with me and I don't have the relationship with them I've had with other Plecos . The cat is kinda cool.Will he eat little fish if they fit in his mouth ? I hope he doesn't eat my new fish when I get them
Clown loaches I thought they could be nasty,I don't know maybe.I'm hopeing for a peaceful community tank or at least kinda peaceful with some shoels of schooling fish and may a low key cichlid or something special

Hi there, just wanted to welcome you to Aquarium Advice! :welcome:
I'm sorry about your brother's passing.

Back
Top Bottom