Hello. I'm new.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddgarcia05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm from South Texas and I've got the bug. After helping my girlfriend build a diy background aquarium for a turtle I decided to do something similar. YouTube was my teacher. I bought all I needed to start building. I went out to PetSmart and bought a Top Fin 29 gallon starter kit.

I started on my custom background already and just waiting on Lowes to receive my quikcrete drywall so I can start the cementing process. I'll be using drylok with cement coloring to add color to my background pictures below.

The lady at the PetSmart seemed like she know what she was talking about. I told her I wanted Cichlids, but she recommended community fish due to them being less aggressive. She pointed out to me that certain fish require there to be about 3-4 of the same type. For example she said for every 1 male guppy I need 3 females because male guppies are very sexually active and will stress out females if only 1 female is in the tank.

She also said different fish live or spend more time on different levels of the tank. The three levels being top, mid, and bottom.

Is what she told me true? Do you think I can trust her helping me pick out fish? She said I could have about 15 different community fish in a 29 gallon tank. She also said I have to be mindful that some fish grow larger than others.

Oh, do I really need a water heater for the aquarium?

What do you think sand, gravel, or small rocks at the bottom of that tank? (I know sand will require to buy a filter 2-3 larger than my tank)

Where can I get good safe sand, should I mix it with something?

I don't think I'm doing live plants but that could change.

Sorry, I'm being such a newb.

Thanks.

img_1377691_0_b64da2d87a36bf191767ce0c4529ceba.jpg

Looks pretty good, not familiar with the process you are employing but fish-wise it sounds like they are advising well. Before you get to fish though, I would take a look at getting your water condition right. 'Fishless cycling' is the key and yes... you will want a heater, also a filter system. Which ever substrate you go for, it will all need cleaning. A popular device appears to be a 'python', which is like a syphon system for sucking up substrate a bit to draw the waste off. I use a standard gravel-vac and it does the job just fine. A 'build-log' would be good, showing stages of progress :)

That background looks awesome I'm gonna have to read how to build one, the information she gave you was pretty basic, just research what fish you want, you could keep a species only if you wanted certain fish with some research

Yes, I'll look into the build log with updates. I did a little searching about sand and I'm still unsure about it. I do have a pool supply place around town. I need to hunt down a water cycling guide for newbs.

molly100a said:
What kind of material is that is looks like foam??

Sure it. Styrofoam to be exact. Cut and stacked, then siliconed together.

I absolutly love this idea, can you send the instructions, what do you treat is with to amke is safe for a freshwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom