Hi everyone from a beginner.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Telesman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,everyone glad to join your forum.I have just got into keeping fish in maybe an unusual way?Where I work there are two aquariums one 150 ltr,which is a temperate tank and has a good filter with 4 goldfish and 2 catfish ( I am not sure what kind,trying to find out,and a 60 ltr tropical which I have just started with 6 sunset platys and 6 cardinal tetras)These tanks where looked after by someone who has just retired and left,and did not really provide any info so I have had to try and learn myself.It has however been very interesting,so much so I am going to start my own tank at home.I have bought a 90ltr tank and I have just but the gravel and decorations in and water,and turned the heater and lights on with 2 plants. I have had it running for 4 days now.Some questions.When I changed some water in the 60ltr tank and came to change the filter,I found 6 fry of the platy's in the filter housing::).I was quite amazed, as the platys had only been in the tank a week but guess they where already pregnant?there is 2 males and 6 female adults in there.I had no way of keeping them separate from the adults so I decided to put them back and hope they went back in hiding. Do you think that they will survive?I hope so.Do they need special food?
Another question.In the 90 ltr tank I am starting I put some bogwood in ,and had to weigh it down with a rock,how long before it sinks by itself?I had it soaking 2 days and as no colour seemed to be coming from,it was though in cold water initially for the two days,I have put it in the tank at 25 degrees up to now for 4 days.Also there is a white slime developed onto it,is this ok? Also when can I put the fish in,I am thinking of starting with platys again as I think they seem great fish,and I think quite hardy. I have some quick start bacteria and could use some medium from the other tanks?
Anyway thanks for your help in advance and forgive my ignorance,but it is all very new to me.All the best :thanks:

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks to the members welcoming me.
I have now added 3 swordtails,a male and 2 females, in the 90ltr tank as well as some quick start bacteria and filter material from one of the established tanks.They all seem healthy and lively:).The slime on the bogwood is still there,and the swordtails seem to be enjoying eating it! I have fed them once with flake food,but as they are eating the growth on the bogwood do I reduce the feeding of the flake food:confused:?
This is there first day in the tank.
All the best to you all.(y)

Update on swordtails and new tank

Hi,everyone,just to say the swordtails seem to be doing well:) and feeding on flake food ok,even though they are still eating the growth on the bogwood.I will have to think of what fish to add next and when is the best time to add them.

Back
Top Bottom