Introducing... Panther17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panther17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I have been exploring your forums for the past week and thought I should introduce myself.

I am 32, and previously (about 6 years ago) had a 4ft (55g) freshwater tank that I managed to keep successfully for 2-3 years and then it crashed - I have since found out that I grossly overstocked it which was not my intention - I just had very little knowledge and didn't know where to find it - contained a few plecos and other catfish, a school of barbs and a few Clown Loaches... obviously there is little need to say more on that. :(

This time around I am researching a lot more thoroughly and realise just how few fish should go in a 55g aquarium!!

I won't be setting up a new tank any time soon due to a 6 week honeymoon early next year, but when I return I am looking at a new 38g/55g setup - currently tossing up between a few setups - freshwater South America with a couple of Angels and a couple of catfish / FOWLR saltwater / Saltwater Reef.

I can post my three suggestions here, or under the different forum headings - I'll let you guys guide me on the best choice there - not looking to be talked into one over the other as I realise it comes down to individual taste - and unfortunately I don't have the room or the money for one of each!!

Thanks for reading, and I hope to be an active member to gain further insight and post a new setup in roughly 12 months time!!

PANTHER17

Hi and welcome to AA! You might want to read some of the threads/stickies in the Cichlid Forum and the Saltwater Forum to get an idea of what would be involved for each type to help you decide. You can always post questions on those forums too if you have something specific you'd like answered.

Welcome to the forum! In deciding on your next tank, I would make a pros and cons list for each. Cost, maintenance schedule, footprint, etc. PERSONALLY, I would go for the saltwater reef. I started my first two years ago and it's almost a completely brand new learning curve and highly rewarding.

Thank you

Thank you for your responses librarygirl and herp_mommy.

I have been doing plenty of research on all three, and then I went into MarinePlus here in Adelaide and now I have decided - Saltwater Reef all the way.

I was concerned at first as to how hard it will be, but it seems that as long as I do regular tests and water changes (and keep maintainable fish levels) then it will not be much harder than a freshwater tank. Everybody seems to say how rewarding a saltwater reef is, and the colours are simply stunning.

The guys at the shop were trying to convince me to go for a 4x2x2ft tank - would this be considered 'normal' for you guys? My previous freshwater tank was a standard 4ft 55 gallon - I estimate that this is about 120 gallon - over double the volume!!

Naturally I would only fill it with fish that would be suitable, and will run past you guys for advice also. I am hoping to visit a couple more local fish shops over the next couple of weeks - but I won't be making a purchase for quite a while.

If anybody has any specific advice/pics/links then feel free to post here - naturally I will be scanning the saltwater reef forums - see you there!!

Great choice! I would go with something between 75-90. 120 is going to cost you quite a bit in rock alone. My first reef is a 75, and I feel like it's the perfect size to start with. Larger tanks will cost more, and smaller tanks are harder to maintain.

Tank dimensions

Cheers herp_mommy,

I am not use to using gallons as a unit of measure (litres usually). What dimensions would you recommend for a 75-90 gallon tank?
I am assuming that would be something like 4x2x1.5ft?

Would reducing the height of the tank like this also make it easier to clean and make the lighting better for corals? (Or have I got the dimensions completely wrong?)

I need to stop doing research - just considered changing back to a FOWLR setup with a lionfish, a niger trigger and a snowflake/zebra eel (obviously this would require a larger tank - thank goodness!!).

Back
Top Bottom