Just Est. my first freshwater tank! YAY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vcorey04

Aquarium Advice Activist
:BIG:
This is my first tank for fish, and i have killed many before. What i hope to get from this online community is helpful advice and learn from other peoples unfortunate but beautiful mistakes.

thanks to all future help,

vanessa

New Tank

What size tank? Heater? Hood/light wattage & type? Are you cycling the water? Good luck, members here give good advice!

Welcome to the forums! Just post some new threads about the things you need to know. Or just things you want to share and i'm sure in a matter of know time you'll be getting a lot of replys :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

It's a 29 Gallon tank, i do not have the correct lighting right now because i use a Repto-light, i'm interested in a "canopy" type lighting fixture that costs about $90, any other suggestions?

the heater i have is sufficient in keeping the temperature constant at around 81 degrees.

um... just went through my first cycle. Nitrate-0, nitrite-0 ammonia -0, pH 8.0

got 5 new fish,
1 german Ram
1 Clown Loach
and 3 little guys that are schooling fish.

Canopy Light

All-Glass makes a double tube light fixture for a 29 gal. for approx. $50. All-Glass also makes a 29 gal. glass top for around $20. This combination may produce enough light for some aquarium plants, and also leave enough glass top surface for an additional light fixture (Coralife T-5 fixture?).

what is a glass top? as opposed to your first suggestion?

i've been told to invest in a T5 flourescent blulb fixture in the 5000-10000K range. not that i know what all this means, but the T5 are supposed to be better than the compacts.

so, going from a repto bulb to proper lighting would require me to get a double tube light fixture of t5's and then also coralife t5?

how long can i run the lights? right now i only have my repto on from 8-2 during daytime so i don't burn my plants.

do you run co2? when you have a planted tank do you use CO2?

also, your clown loach, do you hear clicking and clacking every once in a while?

i have large pebble substrate and i'm concerned he will be unhappy as days go on that he is unable to sift through a looser, finer gravel mix.

but i just established it and would rather not change the substrate.

lemme know your thoughts.

v

Most people have lights on from 8-12 hrs a day, buy a timmer for cheap at walmart to control them.

CO2 is not needed unless you have higher lighting.

Lighting can be done in many ways, cheap that doesn't look great or a more costly setup that looks refined.

And yes, they do make clicking noises, usually when they find a tasty tidbit. Both the clown and the GBR might appreciate some friends, but the clowns will quickly outgrow a 29.

hello V.
this would be my suggestion for lighting or something similar. it will give you decent light for a good variety of plants if you're going with live plants which i assume you are since you are inquiring about c02. At this level of lighting you wouldn't need to use c02 you could just dose Flourish excel which is a co2 substitute. although if you really want your plant growth to take off i would set up a diy yeast co2 generator. you can put as much light on the tank as you want it just all depends on the plants you are interested in growing. the more light you have the faster plants can grow and the more nutrients they use up quicker so fertilization and co2 then becomes necessary. once you get over about 2 watts per gallon. I would start out running that light at 9 hours a day and adjust accordingly to your plants. some may need a little more or less light.
the glass top is just a flat lid that in my opinion is a waste of money best used elsewhere. it decreases the oxygen exchange on the waters surface and also reduces the light penetration into the water. i have no top on my tank and it's just fine. of course if you have cats or children that would like to play in the water it is a good idea to put a top on it.
my thoughts on the clown loach would be to take it back if you can since he will get to large for your tank, they grow to around 12 inches and will be stressed being alone. if your looking for bottom feeders you could try some of the smaller or dwarf cory catfish. they too prefer being in groups though.
just my thoughts on your tank but ultimately the choice is yours :)
good luck

hello V.
this would be my suggestion for lighting or something similar. it will give you decent light for a good variety of plants if you're going with live plants which i assume you are since you are inquiring about c02. At this level of lighting you wouldn't need to use c02 you could just dose Flourish excel which is a co2 substitute. although if you really want your plant growth to take off i would set up a diy yeast co2 generator. you can put as much light on the tank as you want it just all depends on the plants you are interested in growing. the more light you have the faster plants can grow and the more nutrients they use up quicker so fertilization and co2 then becomes necessary. once you get over about 2 watts per gallon. I would start out running that light at 9 hours a day and adjust accordingly to your plants. some may need a little more or less light.
the glass top is just a flat lid that in my opinion is a waste of money best used elsewhere. it decreases the oxygen exchange on the waters surface and also reduces the light penetration into the water. i have no top on my tank and it's just fine. of course if you have cats or children that would like to play in the water it is a good idea to put a top on it.
my thoughts on the clown loach would be to take it back if you can since he will get to large for your tank, they grow to around 12 inches and will be stressed being alone. if your looking for bottom feeders you could try some of the smaller or dwarf cory catfish. they too prefer being in groups though.
just my thoughts on your tank but ultimately the choice is yours :)
good luck

thank you so much for this. i appreciate the time you took to respond in such details, you managed to answer q's i didn't know i had! :)

i have a glass top, my light fixture has a light suitable for a turtle.

so, blocked by the glass top, and also using an inappropriate light system for the last four weeks, dolomite gravel buffering the pH to high, and my AWESOME loach has to go back...

lame, but i understand because i was concerned. the fish guy said that when he gets too big i can take him back and they would sell him to someone with a bigger tank. (this sounded like people do this all the time)

i also asked about the cory cats in the fish store, and they explained that they get too big....

now that i have had him, i have grown fond of his antics and appearance.

i was told me he would not grow that fast. but i do know that the length of my tank is not conducive to his lifestyle of swimming in currents. right now he zips up and down in the bubbles and seems to like it. he's really not that big, right now he's/she's only 2.5 inchs.

i am considering changing the substrate for better plants and lower pH, and just having 2 German Rams, and a small school of fish in this 29 gal. my frogs are very cool. and there is a bloated looking molli, and a orange fish, and another little fish that the German ram has nipped at a bit, + the two remaining galaxy rasboras.

do you think i can have a betta or a discus in my tank? discus get BIG, but don't swim around a lot, if i had the discus, i wouldn't have two rams.

..::brainstorming::..

so, lighting, THANKS A MILLION. :D:D:D

the guy at the fish store offered something very similar , but it was $90 or so dollars.

is this where you purchase your aquarium needs?

if so, thank you for the recommendation.

new questions for those who are checking on me and my first fish tank,,

1.if i want to change the substrate, what do i need to do to preserve the bacteria i've established??

2.where do i keep my fish during the change??

3.Bio Spira??? 50% original tank water? 50% new water?

4. should i poor all the poop (lol) and stuff into the new substrate and wait for it to settle?

5. ALSO can i used my old 90 gal tank for my iguana as freshwater aquarium? that thing has been sitting in my garage for over 10 years.

we should let this thread end and continue with the questions on your other thread since this is for welcoming members well we did that. lol :silly:

you'll get better and quicker responses from the other thread. :bowl:

i'll answer the few non-numbered questions that i can.
ppl do trade back fish when they get to big for their tank or sell them off online or at shows but remember the bigger the fish the more expensive it is.

i'm not sure what size/dimensions your tank is but cory cats max out at 4 inches and most of them smaller than that. Seems kinda strange they would sell you a clown loach for your tank and then tell you a cory cat is too big.
here are some different corys
here's info on the clown loach
a good thing to do is research the type of fish you're interested in via internet from several different places and then go ask the "salesman" about it and see what he/she says about it.
personally i wouldn't put a betta in the tank. i don't think he would get along with the rams and with the long flowy fins he wouldn't be able to swim away fast enough. Discus require different water parameters than the community tropical fish and are a bit more picky needing very pristine water.

lastly i have not ordered anything from that site. it was just one of the first ones i came to and they looked like they had fair pricing.

any more questions would be best asked on the other thread or start a new one in the appropriate forum if it's a different topic :D

Now that was some thread for a welcome! Whew! -- I feel kind of insignificant to it by just wishing a welcome and a hello ..... So I'll do it in style

WELCOME !!!
:scrambleup:

Back
Top Bottom