Just want to say Hello! (And ask some questions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brent H.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! My name is Brent. I love fish. I've been keeping a small (10 gallon) freshwater tank for around a year now. It's a community tank with 2 Tiger barbs, 1 platy, 2 zebra dainos, and 2 balloon mollies.

Now I'm interested in starting a saltwater tank. I would like to start pretty simple. I'm thinking a 29 gallon tank. I plan on just fish and live rock, with fake coral for decoration.

To tell you the truth, I don't really even know where to start. I don't know what live rock is. Can anybody explain in layman's terms? Also, about filtration; will a nice hang on rated for a 55 gallon tank work, or will I need a canister and a protein skimmer? Now, about lighting. The way I understand it, as long as I'm not keeping coral, I won't need anything more than standard, florescent lighting, is this accurate?

Any other info that you think will be helpful to me is much appreciated! Thanks in advance for your responses!

:n00b:

Hey Brent, welcome to the site and welcome to the "saltie" side. I would post some questions in the SW-Getting started section, where you can help convert you! LOL!
Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

Hi! My name is Brent. I love fish. I've been keeping a small (10 gallon) freshwater tank for around a year now. It's a community tank with 2 Tiger barbs, 1 platy, 2 zebra dainos, and 2 balloon mollies.

Now I'm interested in starting a saltwater tank. I would like to start pretty simple. I'm thinking a 29 gallon tank. I plan on just fish and live rock, with fake coral for decoration.

To tell you the truth, I don't really even know where to start. I don't know what live rock is. Can anybody explain in layman's terms? Also, about filtration; will a nice hang on rated for a 55 gallon tank work, or will I need a canister and a protein skimmer? Now, about lighting. The way I understand it, as long as I'm not keeping coral, I won't need anything more than standard, florescent lighting, is this accurate?

Any other info that you think will be helpful to me is much appreciated! Thanks in advance for your responses!

:n00b:

I know where you are coming from, not knowing where to start :)
First WELCOME :D you will get tons of advice here!
Live rock... that always confused me to, let me attempt to explain it

Live rock is basically a porous rock that has tons of living organisms in/on it. We are talking tons of little organisms. Like little fan worms or sponges, or sometimes unwanted little pests like bristleworms. Because it is so porous it "filters" out the nitrites in your aquarium, which is why it is such a must have in a reef. The more you have the better biological filtration you have. Not to mention once coraline algae starts to grow on it it becomes really nicely colored and pleasant to look at.
I hope that made a little bit of since ;) I am not the best at explaining, so I am sure someone else will step in and explain it better ;)

A skimmer is a nice thing to have, it removes all the built up protein that you really dont want in your saltwater aquarium, so I would say yes get a GOOD protein skimmer, dont skimp out like me and get a cheap one :silly:
as for lighting, if all you want is a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) then yes, all you would need is stock lighting, or maybe something a little better for better viewing of the fish but you dont need any expensive lighting.

Also, a lot of people dont like canister filters in the SW hobby, they are seen as nitrite factories.
Hope this clears some questions up :)

One more thing I would like to add is a 29g tank can be somewhat of a challenge to maintain with temperature, pH, and SG. If something went wrong, you would have to react pretty quickly. IMO, I would try to get at least a 55g if possible.
However, if 29g is something you are still interested in, I would say get some LR and stock it VERY light. Maybe a Clown or a couple of Chromis with a shrimp would be good. Just my .02 cents here. :D

Regards,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom