new here - not to fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarkus2112

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone!

After years of thorough research I have finally decided to take the plunge....again. This time I WILL do it right.

I'm not new to the fish keeping hobby, but I feel like I have a better, more informed mindset this time around. My father had a large fish tank when I was younger which initially sparked my interest and I used to have a 10 gallon when I was about 18, but I was ignorant back then and had no idea about "Cycling", fish compatibility, temp. requirements, overcrowding, overfeeding, adequate filtration, etc.

On a side note: I recommend that every beginner read "The Simple Guide to Fresh Water Aquariums" by David E. Boruchowitz. I've read it at least 5 times and it has helped me immensely.

Last week I decided to stop by the LFS which happens to be "That Fish Place" in Lancaster, PA. I know, I know...I'm lucky. haha. It's only 15 mins from my house! :p

Anyways, after about an hour I came home with a brand new, shiny 55 gallon Perfecto tank, Perfecto oak stand, and a Marineland glass canopy. So far those are the only things I have bought. I'm still unsure about filtration. I either want to run 2 HOB power filters, or 1 badass canister. Over filtration FTW! haha

I've even went as far as to draft out the whole layout of my tank on paper. It sure makes purchasing gravel, plants and decorations easier.

I hope to be a regular on this forum with lots of pics to come.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I stopped at the LFS again last night. That's 9 times in the past 2 weeks. Haha. They probably think I'm crazy. It doesn't help that I'm indecisive about what to buy. I spent at least 20 mins. just looking at heaters. I went with the Visi-therm. My setup is slowly becoming all Marineland products. I'm guessing they're a reputable company?

welcome to AA :wave:
let me just say after 2 years of dealing with the HOB filters, i just got the marineland c220 canister for my 40g and i'm loving it. wish i got a canister years ago.

welcome to AA :wave:
let me just say after 2 years of dealing with the HOB filters, i just got the marineland c220 canister for my 40g and i'm loving it. wish i got a canister years ago.

Yeah I've been seriously thinking about it, but it seems like I can get more gph's out of a dual HOB setup vs.
One canister. Also, the canisters seem kind of intimidating for a beginner like myself. Haha

For example: 2 Classic Whisper 60s @ 330 gph for $32.99 each

Or one Marineland C-360 @ 360 gph for $148.99

The other benefit I see is that I can clean and change my filter media on an alternating schedule, saving the beneficial bacteria.

Is this a good theory or am I missing something? I'm still learning...at least I think I am. Haha

that is sound thinking but all you need to do is rinse the media out with the used tank water from a partial water change so you dont loose much of the bacteria any way. done it that way with my hob aquaclear (just one on the tank) for years and never had a problem. of course my tanks are planted. the canisters come with several different media baskets so you could do a rotating cycle on the cleaning or replacing of the media in them to. do the top half one month and the bottom the next.

cost is the biggest issue and then there is personal preference. personally i would go with the Aquaclears over the whispers for HOB.
you can do a search in the forums on the canister vs hob and you will come up with lots of info
we are getting side tracked on this thread so you might want to start one in the appropriate section lol
:wave:

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom