The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm new to this forum. My first topic was about asking for help with treating my newly infected tank. I've had a 10 gallon tank in the past that became infected with ich. That was years ago, and I convinced my boyfriend to agree on starting a new tank and added a betta and African dwarf frogs. I hope to become more knowledgeable about keeping fish. I also hope to successfully treat my new fish and eventually save up to get a BIG aquarium someday.

I'm probably not the most reliable person to get advice from as I've only been in the hobby for the past few months - but! I did have a pretty bad ick outbreak in my 20 gallon with three platies. I managed to beat it in under a week thanks to a bunch of advice from pros. Of course, if this is a past tense kind of thing, just disregard this entire post.
First: I would get a good ich treatment. Go for API Super Ick Cure. This stuff is bomb. A blue bomb. It'll turn your plastic decor green. Activated carbon will turn it back to its original color though.
Second: Turn up the heat. Make sure you check how warm you can get the water without stressing our your fish more.
Third: Please dont take my word for this one, but I added salt to the water.

I am by no means at all a pro with any of this stuff, but from experience these three things got on top of ick pretty quick. Still, I would do some extra research, I could for all anyone knows be a total moron.

Happy fishkeeping!

I'm probably not the most reliable person to get advice from as I've only been in the hobby for the past few months - but! I did have a pretty bad ick outbreak in my 20 gallon with three platies. I managed to beat it in under a week thanks to a bunch of advice from pros. Of course, if this is a past tense kind of thing, just disregard this entire post.
First: I would get a good ich treatment. Go for API Super Ick Cure. This stuff is bomb. A blue bomb. It'll turn your plastic decor green. Activated carbon will turn it back to its original color though.
Second: Turn up the heat. Make sure you check how warm you can get the water without stressing our your fish more.
Third: Please dont take my word for this one, but I added salt to the water.

I am by no means at all a pro with any of this stuff, but from experience these three things got on top of ick pretty quick. Still, I would do some extra research, I could for all anyone knows be a total moron.

Happy fishkeeping!

Thanks for the advice! I actually went to the store today and bought a 10 gallon! I did a water change in my 2 gallon today and it started to LEAK! I returned it and luckily they gave me a full refund. I had to keep the poor fishes and frogs and moss ball in cups for several hours while we set up an aquarium stand and the tank. I got some aquarium bacteria to help start it quickly, but the poor things went right in there and are adjusting. I'm worried about them. However, I noticed the white speck disappeared from the baby one and the betta has one less speck also, and didn't have her fin clamped anymore. Still a few more along her back though. She's in there just freaking out and swimming along the sides. I plan on treating them with just heat, as I read that the salt and medication will be bad for the frogs. Thanks again, wish us luck!!

Back
Top Bottom