New member and new 2 fish keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another test and seems to me the ammonia has gone up a bit. Will attempt a 25% change tomorrow. What am I doing wrong? I was prompted to do so when I noticed the gourami hovering in only the top 1/4 of tank for last couple hrs

910a4a0ac1cb91fdb5e0b689a2c7b46a.jpg

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Your tank has not completely cycled or you added fish before it was able to handle the bioload. If you don't do some water changes ASAP your fish are at risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have set some water out for a pwc tomorrow. Hopefully this helps. Thanks TMaier for your help.

I'm a bit of a nervous nelly when it comes to ammonia. Your daughter would be so sad if you lost a fish.

Update: have done a 25% pwc twice since last post. Ammonia levels still rising. At 4ppm as of today. Fish are active and no surface dwelling. No signs of illness or lax behavior.

Two 25% changes since last Monday? Not surprised with the high ammonia. You could do 25% daily or 50% every few days to keep the ammonia down.

Thanks that was very helpful. Part of me was saying just don't do anything and let the cycle happen. This was mostly because all inhabitants are NOT showing any adverse signs. Our local water supply is known for high levels of chlorine. I've treated with ammo lock. Just gonna ride it out. On a more comical note, I had to explain to someone this weekend that fish do in fact poop.

Thanks that was very helpful. Part of me was saying just don't do anything and let the cycle happen. This was mostly because all inhabitants are NOT showing any adverse signs. Our local water supply is known for high levels of chlorine. I've treated with ammo lock. Just gonna ride it out. On a more comical note, I had to explain to someone this weekend that fish do in fact poop.

Are you adding bacteria like stability? And using prime?

Btw, test you actual tap water too, you may be surprised. And remember if using prime, it can screw with amonia tests.

Back
Top Bottom