New to the site and looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thestever

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there everyone. Brand new to the site and the forum thing. So here is my question.
I have a 30 gal fresh filled with 14 gold fish and a high finned pleco. My 15 gal adult molly tank is getting crowded. Do you think I could add some mollies to the child fish tank?:confused:

Well hi, thestever, and welcome to the AA forum. :welcome: I think maybe the reason that you haven't gotten any replies as yet, is that the members are stunned. Have you ever researched what your pets need? And how long have you had this stocking situation. What kind of filtration are you using, and what is a child fish tank???

Here's the thing: any where you research this, I think you will find that for goldfish, you need a 20 gallon tank for the first one, and 10 gallons larger for every goldfish after the first. And I'm not sure, but I think that the same guideline applies to mollies, as well. That would mean for the goldfish, you'd need a 150 gallon tank, with really good filtration, and lots of partial water changes. Is this really something you want to commit to? Because I'm afraid that you will begin to see your pets suffer, unless you are doing water changes a couple times a day.

Do you check your water parameters? Like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If so, how are you doing with them? What type of filters do you have running on your tanks? We would need more of this type of information to help you with your stocking issues.

I hope you are not offended by these questions, because I'm not trying to be confrontational in any way. We have, most of us anyway, all made many mistakes on our way to becoming aquarium hobbyists, some small mistakes, and some large. So you are not alone, and we truely want to help you understand how to take care of your pets. There are some articles for beginning hobbyists that you might be interested in and here is the link:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html.

I wish you the best of luck, and feel free to ask any questions, and we will attempt to help.:fish2::fish2:

Star quest, best response I've seen by miles, (y) can't tell you how refreshing that is to see.

I am guessing the child fish tank is a baby fish tank..otherwise called a fry tank? Adults can go in with the fry as long as the fry have reached a size where they would not be in danger of being eaten by the adult. If there are various sizes of babies, you probably shouldn't put adults in there.

Going on your post and the questions put by starquest :), I have a feeling that in order to protect the fish you have, you either need to buy a lot more tanks, try and sell some of the fish or try and get your local LFS to take some for in-store credit. Livebearers have babies, it is a foregone conclusion and many LFS' will take them off your hands for in-store credit. It is less expensive for them to get them from someone locally than to order them from a supplier and have to pay for shipping etc.

Fewer fish will keep them healthier and will also help you in your maintenance efforts.

Back
Top Bottom