The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nc_wildchild

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. New guy here. Just starting our 1st fish only saltwater aquarium. Finally talked my son into getting rid of his rabbit. In trade we would get an aquarium. So here we are. All set up and waiting for the cycle process.

Welcome to AA

The most difficult part is the wait for a cycle to complete. How did you start the cycle? Did you get a water test kit yet? What size tank? Any LR(live rock) or LS (live sand) used? What are your plans for the tank? FOWLR (fish only with live rock)? Reef?

Yes that is the most difficult part. Playing the waiting game. We are going with FOWLR. Yes we got the test kit. That was on of the 1st things we got after the 75 gal tank. We started the cycle process after I got salinity at 1.021. ph at 8.3. We are going with the fishless cycle using ammonia. No live sand was used. Using a coral substrate.

+1 on the test kit and the fish-less cycle. I run my salinity a bit higher than yours. Are you using RO/DI water? You may get some replies on the crushed coral...

Yeah it was recommended for our LFS to run the salinity level at 1.021 to make up for evaporation. To be honest we used tap water from our well. Also used aqua plus tap water conditioner. On the crushed coral, is that a bad thing? Because when I 1st started looking into supplies to start a saltwater tank , it was recommended that i use sand. Then when i returned a week later to get everything I need to get started, it was recommended that i use the coral.

For evaporation, the salt says in the tank water so when you top off the tank you only add fresh water. I was on a well system here about 10 years ago and the water was not that good. I would suggest using RO/DI, either from you own system, a LFS or at least from a water dispenser station like outside of some Wal-Marts.
Some LFS's run their salinity low for several reasons, one is to save $ on salt. Natural sea water is higher than that, I run mine at 1.025-26.
As for the Coral, I will let others guide you as I am nowhere's close to an expert but I have read posts that discourage it's use...

Back
Top Bottom