Newbie.. Need Help & Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvonzombie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I’m new here and just started a new 55 gallon fresh water aquarium. After 6 wks I added 5 clown loaches and a Rio Negro Pleco. Everyone was happy . A week later I noticed speckles on the loaches. They all had ick so I transferred them to a 10 gallon hospital tank. I treated them with API Super ick cure at 1/2 strength because they are scaleless. The only survivor is the Pleco. The 55 gal tank has been without fish for about 2 weeks now. Only live plants and sand. I read that I should turn the heat to 89.5 to kill any parasites left and since they don’t have a host then they would die off. I vacuumed and did a 40% water change. My water parameters are all good using the API master test kit. Yesterday I was going to add my pleco and noticed some chunky white substance stuck on the filters. Looks kinda like oatmeal.. lol. I will add a pic. I need to know what to do and what it is. I showed a pic to the pet store worker and he had no idea. It’s really gross and looks like they are multiplying. Looks organic. Take a look at the pic please. Any advice would really be appreciated. Thx Dee

Attachments

• 5993DD7C-3657-4BB1-BB4F-B2ACA2BC7957.jpg
    5993DD7C-3657-4BB1-BB4F-B2ACA2BC7957.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 41
  • 4369B8EF-61BD-455B-B557-FDE98C0B84F8.jpg
    4369B8EF-61BD-455B-B557-FDE98C0B84F8.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 43
Hi, welcome - couple of ideas to check would be decaying fish food (with or without fungal growth), fungus or bacterial bloom. All pretty rare - filters in my established tank have just dark muck.

Thank you. I haven’t had fish in the tank for about 2 weeks so I’m not sure how it could be decaying food. I vacuumed just the other day then the next day all the chunks appeared. I’m going to remove it all and see if it comes back.

Back
Top Bottom