The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linlin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I’m a fish newbie lol bought myself a 25 litre tank set it up and went to buy some fish, I won’t name the store but being a newbie I was looking for advice instead I got told you can only have those (danios) they are fun to watch I have 4 but I was hoping for a variety and possibly one that uses all my tank ?, any advice on what I can put in with my 4 new friends will be much appreciated

Welcome to the community.

A 25 litre tank isnt really big enough danios. 40 litres would be the minimum i would say danios can successfully live in and 60 litres would be better.

The only fish i would recommend to live in a 25 litre tank would be a single betta, along with a small snail if you wanted to look at something different in there too. A betta would need a heater. You would probably be able to get away with 3 guppies at a push.

If you really want to keep a small group of social fish like the danios, then i would get a 40 to 60 litre tank and look at keeping 6 to 8 fish together so they are living in a comfortable group. If you are looking at keeping a "community tank" and want a bit of variety to look at, and different species interacting, 60 to 100 litre are good sized tanks to look at.

As you are a new fishkeeper a couple of questions.

What do you understand about the nitrogen cycle?

Do you know how to cycle a tank? If so could you let us know what you did/ are doing. Fish stores are notorious for not giving good information on cycling tanks.

Hi I’m a fish newbie lol bought myself a 25 litre tank set it up and went to buy some fish, I won’t name the store but being a newbie I was looking for advice instead I got told you can only have those (danios) they are fun to watch I have 4 but I was hoping for a variety and possibly one that uses all my tank ?, any advice on what I can put in with my 4 new friends will be much appreciated

I got no advice in the shop all I was told is you can have 4 of those however today I bought a 100 litre tank so I’m reading all I can

I got no advice in the shop all I was told is you can have 4 of those however today I bought a 100 litre tank so I’m reading all I can

LOL, you have MTS (multiple tank syndrome) already and you've only been keeping fish for a short time. You're in trouble :)

-----------------

What sort of filter do you have on the tank?

Undergravel filters should be gravel cleaned every week with a basic model gravel cleaner.

Power filters and air operated sponge filters should be cleaned at least once a month. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it unless the water flow is really slow. After 6 weeks, the filter bacteria should have established and you can clean it once a month. To clean these types of filter, wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

If you have a filter with pads/ cartridges in and the manufacturer suggests replacing these every month, do not replace them until they start to fall apart. Replacing filter pads is a sales gimmick and causes you to lose the beneficial bacteria living in the filter.

If you have filter pads/ cartridges, buy a foam filter for another brand of filter, and use a pair of scissors to cut the foam so it fit sin your filter. Add the piece of sponge to the filter and leave it to run for 6-8 weeks before cleaning it. Sponges are cleaned as described above (by squeezing them in a bucket of tank water and re-using the sponge). Sponges last for years and only need replacing if they start to fall apart.

-----------------

If the tank is newly set up (less than 6 weeks old), keep feeding down to a minimum (2-3 times per week) and do big (50-75%) regular water changes (using dechlorinated water).

Back
Top Bottom