200 Gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BajanFK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I need some advice about setting up a 200 gallon tank. I was checking the internet and people seemed to make a big deal about the floor area? Is this a problem or just for aesthetics wise? As far as I'm concerned there is no cellar under my groundfloor and our flooring is laminate. Secondly I'm worried about building a stand, for some reason I'm afraid the tank might tilt/fall... Thirdly whats the best way to filter a 200 gal? It's going to be fresh water and will have turtles. I've heard a lot about sumps but have no idea how they work or are made? Can someone shed light on this? or should I use filters and if so what filters.

Finally anything else I should know or take into consideration when setting this tank up?

Is this your first tank? 200 Gallons is a hefty size for someone with no experience.

People make big deals about structural support for tanks that size. 200 gallons of water + the glass + the rock = HEAVY, heavy enough to make your floor collapse if not properly supported. The stand contruction is equally important, it should be built by someone that has some sort of carpentry experience or able to adapt certain methods from already available tutorials online. There are plenty available if you google "diy ??? gallon aquarium stand" (replace question marks with your size).

The concept of a sump is simple, water comes out of tank into another tank or bucket and is pushed through biological / mechanical media then pumped back into the tank via a return pump. Your tank should be drilled if you plan on having a sump ( i would suggest getting factory drilled if you have no idea what you are doing ), then get into the market for a hefty return pump for that size tank. I always go bigger then necessary with my returns and limit flow with a inline ball-valve.

Google is your friend, research research research. Understand what you need to do before jumping the gun and purchasing things, you may regret it. If this is your first tank, maybe try something smaller? a 75 gallon is still a great tank!

Cheers, hope you figure out what you are going to do and successfully execute it!

Hi going smaller isn't an option. I have terrapins and i don't want to have to go bigger ever again. Want a home for life. What else do i need to know. I've sorted out how I'll place the tank, I'll use the conservatory as a fish room. How else can I filter the tank other than using a sump tank? is using a sump tank the easiest method?

Hi going smaller isn't an option. I have terrapins and i don't want to have to go bigger ever again. Want a home for life. What else do i need to know. I've sorted out how I'll place the tank, I'll use the conservatory as a fish room. How else can I filter the tank other than using a sump tank? is using a sump tank the easiest method?

Canister filters. Research. Get on google and research for hours, thats what i did and a lot others. You can never research enough lol. But for canisters for a turtle tank i would suggest the fx5

Back
Top Bottom