Acrylic scratch repair & tank integrity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will using Novus 1-2-3 or wet/dry sanding, etc to remove a scratch on the outside of an acrylic tank cause the tank to be any less safe?

I found a ton of threads about how to repair scratches, but nobody mentions anything about the effect of thinning out one area. The tank in question is a 125g, 66" long, 18" wide, about 26" tall, 3/4" acrylic, and there are 2 scratches on the front about 3-4 inches down from the top, and they are about 12-16 inches long, caused by sand between the surface and a magnet scrubber, so it's a pretty bad one.

After reading up, I am thinking it would be good to get the Novus 123 AND all the different grades of sandpaper, start with the sandpaper, course to fine, alternating directions and working larger and larger areas with each finer grade, then finish the whole front off with Novus 2 and then 1 to make it shine.

Any thoughts on the integrity question?

Depends on how deep the scratch is .... I might worry if you are taking down a 1/4" deep crack, but the usual scratches you are taking down maybe 1/16" if that. I don't think it would be much of an issue.

Back
Top Bottom