Air stone bubbles?!!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redtailkevin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, newbie fish person here.
I have just purchased a medium size 5-6" straight air stone for the back of my 20gal tank.

My question is, the air stone is proudcing a lot of tiny bubbles that floats around the surface, is this something to be concerned of?

I have attached a picture as well.

Thank you in advance for the reply!

Attachments

• 14958184_10154645995614603_1227938245_o.jpg
    14958184_10154645995614603_1227938245_o.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 73
sounds like your pump has more Output volume than your stone can allow to pass,therefore the bubbles come out extra fine & in large #'s.
there is probably a high sqeaky sound coming from the stone as well which is a sign that you are pushing to much air thru it.

As for the surface delay of popping that usually means there is excess dissovled organic's in the water Or also finer bubbles are more difficult to pop.

add another air stone of the same size to the pump or get a 2 way gang valve & connect 1 end to the stone & the other to open air.adjust #2 valve to adjust bubble rate.

prob should get a 4 way valve which would allow for more connections later.(just close the ones not in use)

https://www.petsolutions.com/Defaul...-Valves&CategoryId=Aquarium-Air-Valves-Tubing

IMPORTANT....each line after the gang valve control needs a check valve.if all lines go into the tank(underwater) then only 1 is required on the line between pump & valve,But if 1 valve is being used to lower pump output(venting to the air) then each line into the tank needs a check valve between the valve & the airstone/decor item.

what this does is lowers the pumps output (better for pump life)

get the bubbles under control then see if they pop better.

:thanks: Goldguru

For the input, i will probably purchase another air stone along with the gang valve you suggested!

:thanks: Goldguru

For the input, i will probably purchase another air stone along with the gang valve that you suggested!

I'm thinking that the presence of bubbles that don't pop indicates an excess of proteins or other surfactants. Basically how a protein skimmer works. Increasing the water changes and reducing nutrient input should help remove the substances from the tank and reduce the foaming you are seeing.

I'm thinking that the presence of bubbles that don't pop indicates an excess of proteins or other surfactants. Basically how a protein skimmer works. Increasing the water changes and reducing nutrient input should help remove the substances from the tank and reduce the foaming you are seeing.

Agreed...

Back
Top Bottom