Another RO/DI question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well a faucet that will be close to my 75 gal when it is ready to have water put in it... Is outside. It will be the easiest I think to just take a hose and run it into the RO/DI unit and then into a 55 gal drum and then into another smaller can until i get the 90 gal I need as I have a 20 gal sump. I wont need a full 90 but close to. My question: We moved into this house over the summer and when I was filling 5 gal buckets to cure cement I used this faucet. The water coming out of the faucet I want to use is brown/orange-ish. Will the RO/DI unit take care of any impurities/ metals/copper / whatever else might be in the tainted pipes/water?

SpectraPure MaxPure MPDI Systems incorporate high-flow high-rejection TFC membranes, a 1 micron sediment filter, a 10 micron carbon block filter, and a custom formulated 10” color-change DI cartridge. MPDI systems are available from 25 to 180 GPD (95 to 680 LPD) production rate, and come with a 3/4” garden hose adapter.
Ultra-high purity water at an economical price; water purification systems maximizing pure water production through application of the laboratory grade deionization resins used in our specialty deionization cartridges
High-silicate removal membranes
High-efficiency MicroTec 1 micron Sediment Pre-Filter
High-capacity Carbon Block Pre-Filter
SilicaBuster Color-Change DI Cartridge
Clear filter housings
Filter wrench and garden hose adapter
Dimensions: 15" x 7" x 16"

This is the unit I was thinking of for the 90 gal water needed. Good Bad???

The water coming out of the faucet I want to use is brown/orange-ish. Will the RO/DI unit take care of any impurities/ metals/copper / whatever else might be in the tainted pipes/water?
Yes, it will remove them but your prefilters will foul quicker and the resins/membranes won't last as long.

You can reduce the debris by running the water full on for 3-4 min before hooking up the unit to flush the line. Don't use a hose. That will restrict the flow rate. Just put an empty bucket under the faucet to keep from digging a hole in the ground where the water lands. That should clear most of the debris so it won't get into the RO/DI unit at the lower operating flow rate.

Check the faucet and pipes to it. Sometimes people do quick fixes to outside faucets that freeze with steel pipe instead of copper. This could be causing the rust like brown/orange color of the water.

Back
Top Bottom