Another T-5 Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnS

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've seen some pretty cool, low profile T-5 lights. Anyone know if you can put the fixture right on a glass aquarium cover? or do you need to use something to raise it up a a few inches? Here is the product line I'm considering:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9866&ref=3055&subref=AQ&N=2004+113175

It sort of looks like my Satellite unit, so I am hopefull that I can lay it on the glass like I am doing now. The problem is that I'm still struggling with low clearance under our canopy. I think I may need to find a local wood worker to make a taller canopy. If I have to go that route I'll definitely go with mh.

Ya know, I just don't get the whole "retro" thing! (is my newbie-ness showing?!?) If it's a viable option, I'd certainly check it out but I have no idea what it's all about.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

OK, when you buy a light fixture, such as a Satellite, you get the whole thing...put together and ready to sit on the tank and plug in. When you buy a retro kit, you get all the parts to install the lighting system permanently in your existing canopy. You'll get a reflector, endcaps, bulbs, and a ballast. You install the reflector in your canopy, anchor the endcaps to the reflector, and mount and wire up the ballast per the included instructions. It's not difficult if you're a little handy with tools. And...we were all newbies at one point :mrgreen: .

Thanks for the info, Logan. A couple of questions: Do I have to worry about the heat damaging the wood cover of my canopy? My cover is only about 6 inches off of the tank with cross pieces supporting it. They are only about 4 inches above the tank. Would the reflector get mounted between or below the cross pieces?

I'm sure you'd have to see my set up to really answer the question. I'll do some research to see if I can find any links that show some applications with step-by-step instructions. I'm pretty handy, but this whole thing escapes me. And just like everything else in this hobby, it ain't cheap! I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm doing and if it's possible before I commit to it.

I can't say for sure about the heat damaging the canopy...I don't think it will be an issue. I have installed a 2x96 PC in a Oceanic canopy with no fans or other cooling. The reflectors are spaced about 1/4" away from the wood with nylon spacers. I also installed a 640w VHO system in another Oceanic canopy with the reflector mounted directly to the wood. This system has a fan for cooling. Neither canopy has experienced any warping or discoloration due to heat.

Back
Top Bottom