Any way to move tank from one stand to another?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphendren

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have an established, and doing quite well 55 gallon reef tank. It is currently on a stand that is too narrow, and has hinges that stick 3" into the space inside, so that I can't put any equipment inside.

I am wondering if I can buy another stand for say a 75 gallon, and move the 55 onto it, then I would have plenty of space inside for a nice refugium/sump. My guess is that this is impossible, as the weight of the rock alone will break the glass. Just thought I'd check first.

Also, is it possible to change out the "european" style hinges that stick into the space inside the stand to something less obtrusive?

Jared

I would go to a fish store and buy another tank of 29 gallons or so and put it on the floor near the new stand. Doesn't need a hood or lights or anything. I'd then siphon water from the 55 to the 29. Move rock, fish etc from the 55 to the 29, you could keep a little bit of sand in the 55 but I would prefer you to get a clean (from the store) plastic garbage can and scrape everything into that. You will have maybe 29 or so gallons of water left in the 55 so it's up to you what you do there... either you can throw it away so you'll have to have new water ready, or you can use another garbage can to store it (near the new stand). Move the empty 55 tank over.

You can then put the sand from the garbage can in, put water in from the other can and then once the water level is high enough start to put everything else in. So you've basically used the plastic garbage cans and the 29 as a stepping stone. The most important thing obviously is that you do it quickly once you start doing it and that you have all the containers you are using as stepping stones near the new stand not the old one, otherwise you'll be carrying buckets of water or sand for longer distances.

Why buy another tank? Just use two rubbermaid containers. You can replace the hinges on the doors easily but under a 55 stand theres not much room for much anyway.

It's not impossible to move a tank from one stand to another.

You'll have to put your fish in buckets or something, drain the tank, and get a few strong people. Have a few people lift the tank and have others grab the old stand and slide the new stand in place. It's easier to move the stands than carry the tank.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about some of the plastics used in containers + salt water. For just a tank you'll find tanks almost as cheap as a tote a lot of times. But yes, you could use any water tight and clean container as the tank part of my post.

Yep, just use a couple of rubbermaid containers to temp move stuff into then move 55 to new stand and put it all back in. Just once you start, you cant stop till your done so make sure you have a few hours of free time to do it in.
Good luck!

***it really isnt hard....just time consuming!

I currently have an established, and doing quite well 55 gallon reef tank. It is currently on a stand that is too narrow, and has hinges that stick 3" into the space inside, so that I can't put any equipment inside.

I am wondering if I can buy another stand for say a 75 gallon, and move the 55 onto it, then I would have plenty of space inside for a nice refugium/sump. My guess is that this is impossible, as the weight of the rock alone will break the glass. Just thought I'd check first.

If you are asking, can you move the tank with the water, rock, fish etc, already in it? No. Tanks aren't designed to take any weight in the downwards direction, as they are supposed to be on a surface, so if you are lifting it from the sides the seals around the bottom will have to take the entire weight of the contents of the tank, which they aren't designed for! If they don't fail immediately they'll be significantly weakened and may start to leak further down the line.

As others have said, just get some large plastic containers, not sure what rubbermaids are but I think they are the same thing we just call 'plastic boxes' here! Take everything out, including about half of the water, then move the tank and put everything back.

You might be able to get away with leaving most of the substrate in the tank.

I've moved my tanks around a lot (you have to when you have that many), and I'd always scrape out most if not all of the substrate.

Yup. I use them to store various and sundry items and chemicals, but are there for emergencies and moves. I use more tubs because of all the corals, I don't want to crush anything. I recommend gloves, live rock gets sharp.

If you can, new aragonite substrate is a good idea. Unless your sand is newish and shallow.

Lastly. 75s can be had for cheap. If you are getting a 75 stand, get a 75 tank. It will give you 6" of beach. Unfortunately unlesss you get an oversized stand, you would be able to fit the 55 down bottom.

Back
Top Bottom