Aquarium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imthenguyen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a 150 gallon glass tank and stand (for $100 only I may add!!). I am currently renovating the stand. I believe the tank was kept outdoors primarily prior to my purchase. My question being is it possible to find leaks or structural damages to the seals before adding water? Being that it’s a large tank I'd prefer not to fill it up with water to find the leaks. I suppose its the idea of wasting so much water and that would simply filling it up with water be an adequate test to find an leaks? Any help would be much appreciated.

Honestly I would re seal the tank. I had a 10gallon tank that held water very well for a couple months. Now it is creeping out the bottom. Luckily I have a 10gallon tanks. It will suck major if yours does the same and you have to empty a 150gallon tank just to reseal it. Just do it now and get it over with. That way there are no questions. Learn from my mistake :)

Hey there and welcome to AA!!!!

Filling the tank would be adequate. But, like Civicman said it wouldn't be a bad idea just to reseal it.

You know how old the tank is and how long it was outside for?
The sun can dry out the silicone and make it crack over time. Try to push your nail into the silicone (don't penetrate it) If its spongy its ok but if its hard, cracked, dry or peeling i would strongly suggest resealing it.

$100 for that size tank is a steel even if it is used and has to be resealed!
Good Buy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I dont know how old it is nor how long its been outdoors. I think its safe to say that its a few years old and been outdoors for at least half a year or so. Well I suppose if resealing it is the best well to go then so be it. That leads to my next question...how do I reseal a tank?? I'm sure there are alot of topics about resealing. I'll find them thanks.

there is an article on tank resealing here at AA, go the the articles tab and you will find it.

Back
Top Bottom