Are all bulbs created equal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandown123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was in a LFS the other day. I asked them about different types of actinic bulbs for my t5 fixture and they said they only know of one type and they only carry one brand.

I was wondering - are all bulbs created equal? I would think not. What is the best bulb I could get for my 36" T5 fixture? Anyone have positive/neg experiences with different bulb types/brands?

Same for day bulbs - whats your preferred spectrums?

I only have VHO bulbs but I like URI bulbs as they have internal reflectors in their bulbs which really help to keep the light down in the tank where it belongs. Dont know much about T5`s or hallides.

I don't use T5's, but there is a thread on RC that's been going on for a few years and is probably a million pages long. Here's the latest split on the thread. Lots of info.

I use German T5s Giesemann Actinic+. They are a little more expensive but do a great job. As far as all bulbs being equal it is like most other things in this hobby you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom