Are microbubbles normal in a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just set up my new 210 tank.

New 225 Gallon Build | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

It's been up and running for about about 5 days now. The fish seem to be doing well and my water parameters are good, but I keep getting micro-bubbles which is getting frustrating.

Now, I swapped over all my rock from my 150 and added some more. I swapped over most of my sand, but added some new sand. Pretty much all my equipment was swapped over.

At first, I could see that one of the return lines was getting a venturi from the siphon break. I corrected this issue with some airline under the water line, but I am still seeing bubbles!!!

In my sump, my skimmer (which is 2 years old and swapped from the old tank) seems to be putting out a bunch of micro-bubbles. I have an Oceanic sump so I do have a bubble wall, but I still see some bubbles in the return chamber.

So, I read in a couple places that because it is a new tank with new components (returns, durso stacks, hoses, glass, etc) that micro bubbles may be normal until the components become "wet." Has anyone experienced this?

I've had small bubbles all over the walls of the last two tanks I set up, I chalk it up to adding 100% new water and the abundance of gases being added/released from it in that process.

Edit: I'll also add I use tap water, it pours from the faucet full of bubbles. It was unsettling at first growing up on well water, but I can watch the cloudy appearance dissipate as the gases release from the liquid in a glass of water. City folk and their gassy water, I tell ya!

Last edited:
I've had small bubbles all over the walls of the last two tanks I set up, I chalk it up to adding 100% new water and the abundance of gases being added/released from it in that process.

Edit: I'll also add I use tap water, it pours from the faucet full of bubbles. It was unsettling at first growing up on well water, but I can watch the cloudy appearance dissipate as the gases release from the liquid in a glass of water. City folk and their gassy water, I tell ya!
How long did it last for? Today looked better than yesterday.

To be honest... I wasn't too concerned, so I don't have a solid answer :ermm: Off-hand, I would guess about a week, maybe more. If they're getting on your nerves, I'd just wipe them off the glass!

To be honest... I wasn't too concerned, so I don't have a solid answer :ermm: Off-hand, I would guess about a week, maybe more. If they're getting on your nerves, I'd just wipe them off the glass!
It's not the ones on the glass, it's the ones floating in the water

Hello. I'm new on this site but heres my 2 cents.
Is that tank has only been running for 5 days micro bubbles is normal in my experience. While a tank is becoming established I always get bubbles on walls and equiptment. If your water parameters are good, then I wouldn't worry yet

Back
Top Bottom