bio Wheel Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blindskate

Aquarium Advice Activist
how often does someone normally REPLACE the actualy bio-WHEEL. the things that spins...:rolleyes:

I ran one for quite a while years ago when they first came out and were actually very popular. If it were me, I'd replace the whole thing, but that's just me. I had to do periodic maintenance to keep the thing spinning but never really replaced it.

When it won't spin any more. Those things last a long time. Not great for a reef tank but fine for FO. I keep the wheel in the sump of my main. Then if I need it for QT I can set it up immediately. Instant cycle in the QT tank.

They claim that the older they are, the more efficient they are. So, don't replace it until it doesn't work anymore.

Since the bacteria is dead you can gently scrub it with a NEW toothbrush or similar small brush. Otherwise replace it since it's off and the bacteria is dead.

I've made no secret to the fact that I'm not a fan of power filters on SW tanks but I agree with Cmor, when it doesn't spin anymore it is probably time to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom