Can a heater be too powerful for a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyates

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

My heater for a 20gallon tank busted, and all I have is a big 250watt ebo-jagger submerssible heater. My question is, will this be too powerful for a 20g? No matter how powerful a heater, it should just keep it at the set temp. and not be a problem, right?

Thanks.

I don't think there is such a thing as too powerful of a heater..

i think since its a 250w it'll be on less of course and I honestly think itll keep the tank more stable than say a 75-100w heater.

The only problem with this is if the heater sticks in the "on" position. It will fry the tank very quickly. This is why it's usually recommended to have two smaller heaters rather than one large one. That way, if one sticks "on", you have more time to catch it before it overheats the tank. Other than that, your 250w should be fine. I would probably get a smaller heater when I could though.

I agree with logan. You can use the 250W heater until you can get a 100W heater for the tank. Ebo's are good quality and the chance of the thermostat sticking are low but its still a risk. It would not take long to get the temp in the tank well above 100 with that size heater should it malfunction.

I'm with Menagerie - a overlarge heater will be cutting off and on constantly, and will be more likely to break, leading quickly to the bouillabaisse mentioned by Clown Monarch :wink:

I have a 150W in my 20 gal and I have to keep the heater set at 73F, at 74F it will go to 80F, so I would suggest not putting the large heater on too high. Right now the actual temp is at about 78F.

Just imagine if that heater does do alittle extra sticking here or there the swings in temp will be fairly big. I would get a new heater ASAP and not use this Gaint heater as even a part time permamnent thing. The more I have studied about heaters the more I have learned you do not need that big of a heater. They say 50w for 10 gal you dont really need 50 w a 25w will do fine. most of these heaters are set up with a avg room temp in mind and have a optimum performance range. once you have to start adjusting it out of the performance range for the heater because its alittle too big all bets are off as to what could happen. I know I would freak If I came in and saw cloudy water and fish floating belly up. 8O

Good advice. A quality heater is a relatively inexpensive bit of insurance, because heater failure is a devastating and expensive malfunction.

Back
Top Bottom