Eclipse 3 Lighting Concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fwmansky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am close to purchasing an Eclipse 3 system for use in a 37 gallon tall freshwater planted tank. I have read mixed reviews on the system's "off the shelf" lighting. Does anyone know the watt specificiations for this system? And any other feedback, good bad or otherwise, would be appreciated.

Looks like it has 2 24" bulbs. Most 24" bulbs are 20 Watts. This would give you 40 Watts over a 37 gallon tank. This would generally be considered low light, and is made worse by the fact that your tank is tall.

I've read many threads about people retrofitting the eclipse hoods to get more lighting. This may be an option if you are wanting to grow more than just low light plants.

The hood would need after market modification to get more then low light out of it.. (either with replacing the lighting in the hood or by overdriving the lights it comes with)

The bulbs are 17W. I have an eclipse 3, but only a 29 gal. 34W/29gal= 1.2 W/gal= low light.

I am growing low light plants quite well. There is an old pict in my gallery if you want to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom