30 yrs later

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOPPIE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!
so, about 30yrs ago, my husband and myself had a full service pet shop....consisting of all manner of fish and supplies..along with hand raised birds. Then, after many successful years....we retired and closed up shop.

Fast forward...after such a long long break...for some crazy reason...I find myself once again the owner of a 37 gallon (too tall for sure) freshwater tank. And Im loving it.
I will say...it this a bit overwhelming from time to time....
so many new ways to care for our tank...so many new products, theories, critters...etc

heck...even the fish have gotten more advanced... I have 2 of the most beautiful black mid-size Angelfish....and the blue-ist blue gourami I have ever seen. 2 two little pepper corys, and the 2 most adoreable itty bitty Otos ever.

Makes me feel a little like an antique. Will most likely sound like an ancient ole newbie as I try to work my way through all the new, advanced, and just plain different theories, equipment, critters....

Will really appreciate having a community of more knowledgeable folks than I am to help me navigate.

So.....off I go now.....to go play with my new tank friends! So far.....so good!

Welcome fellow " old timer". :flowers: I spent 45 years in the industry so I know the fun you must have had in the shop. (y)

Yes, there's been quite a number of changes in the fish and systems over the past 30 years. The basic theories are still true, just the equipment to do them has changed ( although I still use box filters and sponge filters. :whistle: )

One thing you do need to be careful of is many fish now are farmed and carrying new diseases (or variants of the old ones ) and viruses we never had to deal with " back in the day". With the exception of the ottos, the fish you mentioned are farmed so you need to be careful mixing any wild caught fish with them as their immunities will be different. Medications are harder to come by these days so prevention is still the best medicine. (y)

Feel free to post any questions or PM me to keep yourself current. (y)

Back
Top Bottom