euroreef recirculating skimmer vs regular euroreef skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
What exactly is the difference here? I missed a cs6-2+ on ebay by a couple of bucks and found a cs6-2 recirculating skimmer for $400. there is definitly a big price difference, can anyone explain why? Thanks!

Recirculating is suppose to give more contact time.. its a design differnce I have no idea how much the $$ diffence it though.. how much was the in the price with the cs6-2+?

the cs6-2+ ended at around 287.00. Do you think the price difference (about $100) is worthwhile?

Ive just been doing reaserch into skimmer design (looked into some heavy DIY information to try to get a idea on how they work and just maybe try to design and build one). You might want to see if anyone has experiance with using recirculating and normal skimmers to give a comparison (the euroreef is a needlewheel right?).. HTH

but.. from a design point.. I dont think the modification done by the manufacture is worth alot maybe 5 or 10 dollars plus the cost of research, development and testing.. it's the added performance they should be charging for..

I am pretty sure the euroreef is a needlewheel. Its kind of hard to find info on the skimmers- i search google and come up with a bunch of companies selling their products. As greenmaji suggested i ask, has anybody used a recirculating skimmer and a regular one? I would like to know if the added performance is enough to justify the additional costs. Thanks

I also bid on that CS6-2+ this morning. I gave up an ordered one online just a few moments ago. Did you go to Euro Reef's website? They are needle wheel impellers, accorind to the site. One of my local LFS said that the recirculating model works good, but the obvious drawback is the price.

how much did you spend on the skimmer? the new ones are about $400 w/ the pump right? did your LFS make it sound as though the recirculating skimmers perform much better than conventional ones? I'm just trying to figure out wheather getting the recirculating skimmer will be worth the additional money

I purchased a ASM G3. It's suppose to be a Euroreef knockoff and a lot cheaper I might add. I bought it as a standard skimmer but I'm doing what is called the recirculating mod and also the gate valve mod. Maybe this will give you a better idea.
http://www.asmskimmer.com/modifications.htm

I don't believe I would pay the extra $100 especially when it can be done with just a little plumbing. I'll be feeding my skimmer with another hole near the top and the pump will draw water from the inside of the chamber and feed it back into the chamber. The extra contact time like greenmaji said will make it a more efficient skimmer. I would just like to say I only have experience with a CPR BakPak so this info is just from A LOT of research I have done.

HTH :D
Stephen

I found the CS6-2+ for 369.99 online. If you go to Euro-Reef's page, click on the "where to buy online link" and their online dealer in Indiana has the cheapest price on the CS6-2+ I have seen (and I have been looking for months). The LFS didnt really make a recommendation either way about the recirculating model. They did say that the regular Euro Reef skimmers do just fine. They better for the price they get!

No doubt!!! I think i'll probably just end up getting one brand new. plus, i remember reading somewhere that the needle impeller (which is the key part of these skimmers) is only available by itself to registered owners. so if it ever broke on me after having bought it used i'd be up the creek without a paddle. Hey Andy, it'll be a couple weeks before i buy one- would you mind letting me know how the setup goes when you get it?

The ASM skimmers and the Euroreef use the same needle wheel impeller driven Sedra pumps unless something has changed.

hmmm, do the ASM skimmers produce the same amount of foam that the euros supposedly do? how about adjustments- are you having to do constant tweaks to the skimmer? I will definitly look into an ASM if it performs like a euro but at a smaller price.

almost forgot, how about noise? i've heard the euros are about as quiet as you can get. do the ASM's replicate that part pretty well too?

I don't have my ASM running yet so I don't know about performance. As far as the amount of foam they should be close since they are the same basic design and the same needle wheel pumps. There are some differences that I am aware of. The ASM's body is made from a little cheaper acrylic. Not a problem as long as you don't use your skimmer for a bowling pin. Also the way the cup attaches to the neck is different. The ASM has a twist-lock type where you turn it just a little to unlock it. The Euroreef has a threaded nut much like a big union coupling. Apparently the makers of ASM and Euroreef at one time worked together but there was some sort of split in the company (rumor).

from what I can tell the ASM looks a little better designed for performance, the neck to the riser looks better. The riser neck is smooth cone shaped, being better for foam travel from my research.. that and the body is extruded clear PVC and the rest of the clear parts are extruded acrylic. HTH

GSXR, the CS6-2+ is on backorder. They say it might be here late next week. I really want to get the CS8-2 so I can really skim the you-know-what out of my water, but I dont think it will fit in my setup.

Well, decided to go for the ASM after doing some searching around on google. Thanks for all the advice everyone and good luck with the euro andy!

Back
Top Bottom