Filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

king steve

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!!

I come to this site looking for some help and to gain some knowledge. I have been enjoying the hobby of fish tanks for over ten years now. I recently upgraded my tank about a year ago from a 55 gallon south African tank to a 90 gallon African Cichlid tank. When I start the tank all of my fish were no larger then two inches. Now I have over 20 fish ranging from 2" to 5". There has been a lot of breeding going on in my tank so I am unsure exactly how many fish I have now. I also have three placo's two which are about 6" and one that is about 12". I am having trouble with filtration. I am currently running a Rena XP3 canister filter and a Marineland 350 power filter. These two filters do not seem to be doing the job anymore. I always have things floating around in the tank now. The canister filter looked like crap after 10 days after the filter change. PLEASE HELP!!! :confused:

Thanks that is the filter I have thinking about. It is an expensive filter so I just wanted to make sure it was my best option and not going to be over kill

Thanks that is the filter I have thinking about. It is an expensive filter so I just wanted to make sure it was my best option and not going to be over kill

Shop around there are sales all over the place for them. I saw them in the mid 200's.

Have you considered an Aquaclear 110 hob filter? Much easier to clean/maintain than a canister, and pumps 500 gph for a lot less $$ than the FX5.
If you do want an FX5 you can find them on e-bay for a little over $200 shipped...

My FX5 has been ordered and should be here on Tuesday. I was planing on running the new filters with the old filters for a about a week so the biological environment could build up.in the new filter. Is this a good idea???

You'll need to run them all together for at least 2-3 weeks unless you put most of the media from the old ones into the new filter.

Thanks for the advice. I will continue to run my old filters with the new one for three weeks.

Hooked up fx5 last night. Tank looked great this morning. Besides the purge valve being damaged on arrival I am very happy with it thus far. Fluval will be shipping me out a new valve this week at no charge

Hooked up fx5 last night. Tank looked great this morning. Besides the purge valve being damaged on arrival I am very happy with it thus far. Fluval will be shipping me out a new valve this week at no charge

That's cool, I got both of mine today. Did yours come with media.

It.only came with the foam media. I added Bio Max, pre filter, and Zeo Carb. My only problem is I was not sure of how much of each to add. I bought one box of each and used it all and still have room to add extra

Yes they lack direction on how much of what media to pit in.

I bought the pre filter, Bio max, Polishing Pads, Carbon.

I'll have to look to see what is recommended. I know you can add different types into one basket.

Thanks for the useful information. I don't know how comfortable I am using pillow stuffing as filter media due to possible impurities

As long as it's polyester fiber that hasn't been treated to be flame retardent the only difference between pillow stuffing and filter floss is the packaging and price.

Back
Top Bottom