Filter upgrade procedure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hank_the_tank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i'm a bit new to the game but about to upgrade from a 5 gallon nano to a 30 gallon tank.
The nano has the hanging filter that came with it and i've purchased the 1850L/hour Giantz external filter (I think Sunsun in America/UK) for the new tank.
Wondering what's the best way to get the filter ready for the new tank?

It holds just over 1.5 gallons so I filled it with water with conditioner and startup bacteria and then used it to change a quarter of my nano tank water so my nano is clean and the filter is now full of tank water.

If I do that every week would it build up some bacteria in there or would I have to keep it running to do so? Or am I wasting my own time?

It's gonna be 5/6 weeks before I have the new tank anyway.

Thanks for reading.

All of the beneficial bacteria is in your filter and filter media. Or at least in the neighborhood of 90%. The rest is on the surfaces and substrate in your tank. Zero in the water column. You can fishless cycle the new filter and tank in 5-6 weeks, or move old cycled media from the hob into the new filter when you move fish, to kinda of jump start the process in the new one

Will do

I reckon I'll be back for some more advice before then mind.

Think I'll see if I can get all the current media in the new filter today when I'm cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom