filtration...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
this may be a completely dumb question.... but can you have toooo much filtration on a tank? i mean, you wouldnt run a fluval FX5 on a 10 gal tank (just an example)...right?

I think the main issue would be the flow rate. I don't think you could ever over filter a tank but you could create way too much flow in the tank fairly easily. For example, when I first started I thought I need a HOB filter and a UGF (w/ powerheads) So I had two powerheads and a HOB on it. Needless to say, that tank was like a dishwasher.

+1 for meegosh, the biggest problem is just water flow. Theoretically you could filter a 10 gal as far as filtration power, but the flow would prob blow the fish/decor and sand onto the floor.

+1 for meegosh, the biggest problem is just water flow. Theoretically you could filter a 10 gal as far as filtration power, but the flow would prob blow the fish/decor and sand onto the floor.

yes, i knew that water flow would be an issue it was really just an exaggerated example to get the point across.... so OVER-filtration? Never an issue!? awesome!

All good answers. I just wanted to state that the only dumb question is the one not asked. I actually thought your question was a good one and I`m glad you asked it. I bet a lot of folks have wondered about that also.

Back
Top Bottom