Fish Room Start Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have gotten so interested in the hobby and have finally gained enough experience (at least so I think) to set up a very small scale fish room. I have all but one of the tanks I need and I have the tank rack just about complete. Just needs a little more wiring and a mount for the top light to be complete. My plan is to have a my 20 high and 3 10 gallons on the bottom. I have 2 20 longs ready for the top. I have two basic (and free!) 4ft dual bulb T8 for lighting. I'm hoping that I'll be able to grow some java moss and maybe some hornwort or guppy grass. Of course I still have my 55 display tank but that isn't what I would call part of my breeding set-up. *Note: all electric runs through a GFI before running into the house so no worries there. I will be running API sponge filters on each tank and heating each one individually (unfortunate). All will be bare bottom tanks without lids. My questions are what brands of heater should I purchase? I'm think some aqueons, but not the pro, the cheaper ones. I also am flustered about an air pump. Would I be better off buying 3 whisper 40's or a piston pump? I need a cheaper one. And a quiet one...the tank rack will be going into my room. Any recommendations? I like to do all my ordering off of Kensfish.com , so if its something they have that's a bonus. All help is appreciated.

Hey Colin, how are you getting on mate. Wow, I think you will be officially addicted now with that set-up....haha. Can't help out but i'd love to see some pictures!!!
You've probably seen it but there's a guy on youtube, sorry can't remember his name but he has a video on setting up a rack of tanks. Sounds like you know what your doing already but it might help you out now or in the future. I know I'm NO help but I really just wanted to subscribe so I don't miss any posts or pics. Best of Luck with it:cool:

you can buy one air pump for the 20 longs and use a splitter as long as the tanks are the same level it will work. the splitters are about 1.50 so its pretty cost effective. im not sure if it will work out that way with the other ones being stacked. what are you planning on breeding? you really only need an airstone in the tank with the fry in it i would get a microbubble one so it doesnt make an extreme current for the little guys.

i have 22 tanks set up for breeding angel fish and bristle nose plecos. 3-55 gallon --6-30 gallon 1 75 gallon 6- 20 gallon talls -- and 6 10 gallon. i bought a large air pump and ran 1/2 pvc around the room with air valves every 12 inches. then i hooked my pump to it and ran air line to each tank. also i gives u extra air valves to fill up bags. i wis you was here in colorado i have a great pump for sale. any way pm me if i can assist in any way

Hey Colin, how are you getting on mate. Wow, I think you will be officially addicted now with that set-up....haha. Can't help out but i'd love to see some pictures!!!
You've probably seen it but there's a guy on youtube, sorry can't remember his name but he has a video on setting up a rack of tanks. Sounds like you know what your doing already but it might help you out now or in the future. I know I'm NO help but I really just wanted to subscribe so I don't miss any posts or pics. Best of Luck with it:cool:

Ted's Fish?

you can buy one air pump for the 20 longs and use a splitter as long as the tanks are the same level it will work. the splitters are about 1.50 so its pretty cost effective. im not sure if it will work out that way with the other ones being stacked. what are you planning on breeding? you really only need an airstone in the tank with the fry in it i would get a microbubble one so it doesnt make an extreme current for the little guys.

Yes I plan on colony breeding tiger endlers, bn plecos, and some painted fire red shrimp hopefully. I think I have a few splitters, just wasn't sure if one whisper 40 was enough for both. Also, I thought a little current was good?!

Guess I should start to revive this thread a little. I painted the rack tonight. I will be putting another coat of paint on the shelves tomorrow to make sure it's thorough. I want to make the shelves as close the waterproof as I can. Should I put down some foam boards under the tanks or will I be ok? The stand is pretty level, and when I get it positioned, I will shim it. I just hope I can get it up the stairs. It's going to be a challenge! Pictures to come soon enough.

Got a 30 long today with an under gravel filter, Perfecto hood and light, and an old green EBO Jager 150W heater for $15. I was planning on taking the heater out and reselling everything, but maybe I will keep it, and lose the 10's on the bottom shelf. Everything should fit, I believe. Then I would just takeout the under gravel filter because it will be a bare bottom tank anyways, and ditch the hood. Any input?

I would be careful of a used heater. I've read you should replace them yearly. I had one fail while I was out of town and it cooked my fish. :(

I don't know where the idea that heaters need to be replaced yearly came from, but it isn't true. I have some from the 60s and 80s that still work. Heaters that are properly sized for the tank won't cook your fish, even if stuck on.

I made major progress today. Got the stand inside, upstairs, and the tanks in place. I basically scrapped the entire original plan. Instead of doing a 20 high and three 10 gallons on the bottom, I put the 30 long and the 20 high. As for the top, instead of doing two 20 longs, I am going to do one 20 long and three 10 gallons. Pardon the mess, I had to get everything out I the way for my dog. Hopefully I can get filters, heater, and an air pump soon!

image-4284570466.jpg

Thread revival time! I picked up a great deal today. 3 10 gallons, a couple 7.5 gallons, all with lids, and a bunch of heaters, filters, and air pumps. Quiet air pumps too! I got a steal on them! Long story short I set them up and now in looking for some inhabitants. I've already added seeded media to the tanks, but I think I'm just going to see if I can find guppies and endlers to fill the tanks up quick. I figure the top right tank will be best for my smallest fry. I set it up with 2 really small air powered filter. Minimal flow but that's good for fry. Hope all the heaters hold out. I'll know by tomorrow. This just saved me a couple hundred bucks! I also have some java moss in the first 10 and I'm floating some trimmings in the the other tanks. I'm working on selling those lol. Might be picking up more java this weekend!

30 gallon sprung a leak. It's up for sale now either to be resealed or used for reptiles. I think I'll replace it with a 40 breeder if I can find a deal on one.

It's been a while! I've got the spot where the 30 gallon was, full of supplies. I've been waiting for a deal to come up for a 40 breeder. I've also got the 20 long full of female guppies, the first 10 full of male (looking to sell a bunch), and the second full of fry. I'm debating on throwing some java moss in the third and starting a shrimp colony. The 20 high is still home to assassins and a BN pleco. I can't decide what I want to do with it yet. Decisions, decisions.

Hello CcJ23, just browsing and found your thread. The setup looks great, sorry about you 30gal leak :(
Are you in the Buffalo/WNY area??

It's been a while! I've got the spot where the 30 gallon was, full of supplies. I've been waiting for a deal to come up for a 40 breeder. I've also got the 20 long full of female guppies, the first 10 full of male (looking to sell a bunch), and the second full of fry. I'm debating on throwing some java moss in the third and starting a shrimp colony. The 20 high is still home to assassins and a BN pleco. I can't decide what I want to do with it yet. Decisions, decisions.
Looking good mate. You'll have that breeding empire in no time...lol

Back
Top Bottom