Fluval 204 media placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a used fluval 204 with no media. Can somebody help me on what media to buy and where to put it? I just want pre-filter, biomax and foams.That's it. Thank you in advance.

I bought a used fluval 204 with no media. Can somebody help me on what media to buy and where to put it? I just want pre-filter, biomax and foams.That's it. Thank you in advance.

I think the way you want to set it up sounds best. After the sponge wall, I pre filter with poly-fill and the biomedia after that in my 305 and it works great for me.

I don't know which basket should I put the bio-media. It should be in the last basket but I don't know which one is the last basket that the water go through before going back in the tank. That's what I want to know. Do they still sell foam for the 204?

roydooms said:
I don't know which basket should I put the bio-media. It should be in the last basket but I don't know which one is the last basket that the water go through before going back in the tank. That's what I want to know. Do they still sell foam for the 204?

I see foam at my LFS (they carry many parts for fluval cans) and the upper basket is the last in the flow pattern (intake->foam->lower->upper->output). If you didn't get a manual with it, they're avaliable online in pdf format.

That's great to know. Thanks a lot for the info :D

That's great to know. Thanks a lot for the info :D

Glad to help. If you decide to use poly-fil for pre-filtering to the biomedia, make sure you get pure poly, no additives (fire retardant, etc). I've confirmed that the "fairfield" brand is safe for aquarium use and can be found at most craft or fabric stores.

Are you talking about the ones that you buy at a hardware store? I have some extra polyfil from my fx5 that I'm thinking to cut up for the 204.

roydooms said:
Are you talking about the ones that you buy at a hardware store? I have some extra polyfil from my fx5 that I'm thinking to cut up for the 204.

Yep, the fx5 stuff will work for sure. I never looked for it at a hardware store, good idea :D.

Back
Top Bottom