FOWLR Aquarium Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAV23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!
I am new to this forum and I have a couple of questions regarding a 75 gallon FOWLR aquarium that we will be setting up soon. Is the 75 gallon Marineland Majesty Esemble a good choice? I have also been looking into sump filters and discovered that most are in the hundreds. Would a canister filter and protein skimmer work okay or is a sump filter a must have? Thanks!:)

you can build a sump at 1/2 the cost of buying a pre-made one
the tank is more about what you like
you can use a canister if you like but be sure it is cleaned frequently to keep down nitrates

Thanks for responding so fast!:) If I were to do a canister filter, would it work to do weekly water changes and siphon it out monthly? Also, would a Reef Octopus 100-HOB protein skimmer work? And for the water changes, how much water would I take out of the tank? Thanks for answering all my questions!

The definition of a sump is a tank below the main tank. There is no need to buy an expensive acrylic sump with all the chambers etc. Many people use old tanks and many people just use a Rubbermaid bin. Just make sure that the sump can hold enough water (overflow) during a power outage.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, thanks for the info on the sump. I have a 5 gallon tank that I am not using. Do you think that would work for a sump? What else would I need?

5 gallons is really small. I don't think you can fit much equipment in there and it will surely overflow in a power outage. Most people use 20-30 and run about a 25% water level.

Ok, what other equipment would I need besides the tank?

Heater, return pump, skimmer. Skimmers are still optional but make sure you leave room for expansion if desired.

Skimmer, powerheads, heater, rodi(technically not necessary), lights, overflow box or drill the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! What are good skimmers and powerheads to look into?

My set up is a 75 gallon with homemade sump. I used a 40 gallon breeder. Design was something I put together from a few ideas. Bought 4 plates of glass and silicone them where you want. In the end it would cost you roughly 90 bucks.
40 for the tank at petco with the dollar per gallon sale. Glass is roughly 10 bucks a piece. And silicone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a pic. Just make sure you have enough space under the tank

Attachments

• 1449928489335.jpg
    1449928489335.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 80
Skimmers can get pricey. Try and get one that accommodates twice your water volume within your budget. And again within your budget for a power head. Hydor evolution. Unless you can get the vortex WaveMaker. But a good alternative for the vortex is the jaebo wp line. I have 2 of the wp25 on my 75.

Ok, thanks! I think I will do something similar to yours then:)

Back
Top Bottom