Freshwater Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PapaT

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 110g freshwater set up with about 40 small mixed mbuna Cichlids. Right now I have a Fluval 405 and two Whisper hang on the back filters, old ones, I think they are Whisper 5. I keep hearing about sumps, is this an option for my tank? I just want a clean tank, but three filters on one tank seems like a lot. Thanks. P.S. I am new to this site and I really like it!

You can certainly have a sump on a FW tank, I had one on my 55g for about 4 months until I learned of what is really nice, a canister filter! These things work great and are so quiet you don't know they are working. I just got mine going this past Tuesday and I'm very glad I did.

I'm sure a lot of others can chime in here as well who know a lot more than I do.

The Fluval 405 is a canister filter, but I heard they don't agitate the water well enough. The FX5 is the best one out there now, but I'm not ready to drop $300 yet. What canister do you use?

I got a Rena XP2 for my 55g. It seems to agitate the water just fine especially near the output of the filter, if any fish go by it they get visibly pushed down.

This is why this hobby is so dangerous... my HOB on my 29G is probably perfectly adequate, but after reading this I have been looking at canister filters for the last half hour.

I also have a 29g fresh that I originally only had one Biowheel on. I then saw how clear the water was at my lfs and added another Emperor biowheel. The water is crystal clear; I know I am way over filtering for four fish, but it sure is nice to see that water. I am still too new with my Fluval 405 to decide what I think, but it is working so far.

Back
Top Bottom