From hob to canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamrock13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I'm tired of having my 2 HOB, I think it ruins the presentation of the tank and is going to get in the way of how I want to set up my live rock.
First question: Is switching from a HOB to a canister going to mess with my biological system since the HOB is already established??

Second question: I would like to go with a good canister. I don't want a cheap one that's going to give me bad filtration but I also don't want my pockets to hurt.
OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS

Without knowing anything about your tank, size, fish, etc I can't really suggest a particular model. I can say I really like my fluval 05 series canister. As for the media and losing/causing a cycle, take the media from the HOB's and put them in the can. You can make it permanent, or let it seed the new bio media and then remove it.

65 gallon, 10 fish, 3 shrimp, 6 snails, 20 or so hermits, 1 sea urchin, 1 bta. Mostly live rock.. Just started getting into coral. Polyp frag and finger leather. My two HOB are biowheels, so I'm assuming you mean I should out those into the canister?

65 gallon, 10 fish, 3 shrimp, 6 snails, 20 or so hermits, 1 sea urchin, 1 bta. Mostly live rock.. Just started getting into coral. Polyp frag and finger leather. My two HOB are biowheels, so I'm assuming you mean I should out those into the canister?

SW is beyond me but if you think a canister is what you want, I'd suggest you look at the Fluval 405 or FX5. Yes take the HOB media, even if you have to pull part of a cartridge apart (remove frame, etc), then put the fiber/biomedia in the canister because that's where most bacteria live.

I've never seen a FW only canister. I had my fluval on my 55g cichlid tank and its now on my 55g SW tank. Just gotta stay on the maintenance if you use a canister for sw. It tends to build up nitrates. I do pwcs weekly and a monthly filter check adn I'm at 0 nitrates so it can be done.

When I moved the canister over I took out all my media from my HOB and put it into the trays of the canister. I had no spikes or mini cycle either. :)

Back
Top Bottom