Great deal on a filter, but is it too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheezysquirrelz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at the petstore about a month ago and I came across an Emperor 280, these cost $50. There was a sticker on the box saying that it was 30% off due to a beat up box. I had a $15 giftcard to there from relatives. I got that awesome filter for only $15 dollars of my own money!!!!!! 8O

I put it in my 20gal planted where it is now. My question is, is it too powerful?

I plan to get a 46 gal bow front tank for my birthday(I hope) and I will move it there.

hrm i dont think itll be that much... i mean I have a 10 gal with a 170 which seems to suit my fish fine.. I haven't had anything sucked in (it currently houses a few danios.. small small frogs, ghost shrimp and some really weak swimming plecos) -- it keeps the tank really clear and provides a nice current

The Emp 280 is fine for a 20g tank. I wouldn't want anything less on a 46 or 55 gal tank. You can run it wide open on the 20 as long as the current isn't bothering the fish. This is an excellent filter that should give you years of trouble free service.

I have the same filter on my 20 gal and have running full throttle. As long as the fish can still swim your fine.

My 29 gallon has about 500 GPH pumping through it so no its not to much filtration for alot of types of fish. Some fish need calmer water though so youd have to look at what fish you have or plan to have and go from there.

I have a 46 gallon bow front tank with a H.O.T Magnum 250 gph and it has plenty of filtration for it.

I tried it on full. but my betta cant take it. I could put him somewhere else though. I also have floating plants that will get knocked around.

Right now I have to keep the water approx. 2"-2 1/2" below the frame because when I tried the water higher(with the filter on low) my tank became a cyclone. :p

OH BTW----the 46 gallon isnt a sure thing but I keep hinting to my family thats all I want. :D The big problem is that its really expensive I think its approx. $200 for the tank, $200 for the stand(I could find something cheaper though), plus gravel and.........
But if I did get it I'd move everything in my 20 gal x-tall over and get maybe a few more cichlids....

Back
Top Bottom