Is this flow too strong for my Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this flow too strong for my Betta? The filter is small, but there are a lot of bubbles in the water from the filter. I took a video of it to show the filter flow.

Is this flow too strong for my Betta? The filter is small, but there are a lot of bubbles in the water from the filter. I took a video of it to show the filter flow.
If the fish is not laboring to swim, it's fine. If you don't see the fish swimming around his territory, or is hiding in a low flow area of the tank, that would be an indication that your flow is too high.

What percentage of the tank would you say is high movement? What percentage is relatively still or low movement? Mostly low-move with a bit of active water can be fun for a Betta. Someone on here wrote recently that his Betta loves to dash through the bubbles like a kid in the sprinklers, and I too have found that mine, with mostly no movement, occasionally like to go for an action-packed moment of jumping over the bubbler.

The left side of the tank has the most movement

What percentage of the tank would you say is high movement? What percentage is relatively still or low movement? Mostly low-move with a bit of active water can be fun for a Betta. Someone on here wrote recently that his Betta loves to dash through the bubbles like a kid in the sprinklers, and I too have found that mine, with mostly no movement, occasionally like to go for an action-packed moment of jumping over the bubbler.

The left side of the tank has the most movement, slow movement. My Betta can swim over the movement, or through it. :cool:

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

Can you post a picture of the entire tank?

The water movement in the video is too much for a Betta, which come from very slow flowing water or more commonly in stagnant puddles and ditches. And they are short finned varieties in the wild, so long finned fish need less water movement. In the wild they get some water movement during the wet season but the rest of the year it's calm water.

Back
Top Bottom