HELP - Aquarium is Cracked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilikepie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so i know i have been posting on here a lot, but i am really concerned about this. I just noticed after cleaning my 50 gql that there is a vertical scratch/crack on it, i can feel the scrqtch on the inside and the outside, will my tank burst? What should i do!

Absolutely. If the crack is through the entire tank, and you can feel it inside and out, you need to start finding an alternative as soon as possible. There are instances where folks have had a pane crack and spill an entire tank in an instant.

fort384 said:
Absolutely. If the crack is through the entire tank, and you can feel it inside and out, you need to start finding an alternative as soon as possible. There are instances where folks have had a pane crack and spill an entire tank in an instant.

But wouldnt.water come through and how would it become cracked

Not necessarily, it might hold water right up to when it fails. If the crack is all the way through, it is definitely not safe.

Is the tank level? What is it sitting on? Is there styrofoam under the tank? The weight of a 55 gallon tank is pretty great, and tanks can crack if they are not level, there is anything under the tank causing a high spot, etc.

Its on the stand i got with like one iof those bundle deals at petco and i have had it for a long time, is it possible it would just suddenly crack?

Idk if i actually feel it on the inside or if i just feel it because im paranoid; im gonna measure the scratch/crack length today and then again tomorrow, is there any way to fix a crack?

Scratches can't be felt on both sides. If it's a crack, you have to replace the entire pane. If it's a scratch, I wouldn't really be that concerned about it, unless it's a really deep scratch.

So you are saying if its a crack i should empty it and move the fish

ilikepie said:
Wow that is disapointing to saythe least

:-(. No doubt. Better safe than flooded and maybe cut up with glass tho. That's always been my worst aquarium nightmare! You could check our Craigslist since all you'd need to replace is the glass tank. I've seen many tank alone ads for $40-60.

I would put the current stock in a rubbermaid container or similar for now, and empty the tank ASAP though. 55 gal of water on the floor of your house could cause some major, major damage.

Save your fish!! Good luck. I had to replace my tank too bc it started leaking, but if it had burst on me I'd have to rehome myself, let alone my fish

Im just gonna leave it if it busts no big deal its in my basement on concrete

I would just empty it. While quick setting epoxy might help, I wouldn't risk pressing on the crack, and blasting it with heat. Could cause a weak crack to fail sooner. If the tank is in your house, I would just get a $10 big rubbermaid container for now, put the fish in, and get the tank emptied.

Ah we'll that's a good thing so long as it won't ruin anything. If you have a catastrophic failure though it would kill all the livestock.

Back
Top Bottom