Help with sump please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmike10000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was given this sump setup. Its pretty basic drain then skimmer over and under baffle then return. With a slot to stick something inbetween the baffles. Will this work good for a reef. The sump looks premade from the factory so i have no clue. The old owner had a box of refugium rubble under the return and phosguard in the slot.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1433151875239.jpg
    1433151875239.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 1433151885773.jpg
    1433151885773.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 80
Yes, It will work fine. The slot is for a sponge filter pad, but I wouldn't recommend that. It will need regular cleaning. I would suggest a filter sock instead. They sell hang on holders that you can sit on the side of the sump which will work nicely and you'll be able to maintenance it easily.

I put some filter foam in mine the night I set it up to catch sand and other crap. Other than that I would stick to filter socks. A bit more hassle but worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would the sock go in the slot or on my drain hose

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You would get a hanging type holder for the sock and your input water would go through it as it enters the sump. :) So to the far left of the sump. I have several setup this way. Filter socks are a blessing, some people hate em, BUT use one for a week and see what it catches and you will be sold on the idea. lol Bulk reef supply has cheap socks, i would get like 4 so you can rotate them in and out. Depending on whats going on in your tank you will have to change it once a week or more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom