how to quiet a noisy air pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skargo2009

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so i bought a marina 300 air pump for my 55 gallon tank. when it first starts up its relatively quiet, but after maybe 30 seconds it starts making a sort of grinding noise (im not sure how to describe the noise).

ive tried putting it onto of a thick blanket to see if that helps, but its still really noisy. i have a smaller air pump (same make) in my bedroom and that doesnt make a sound.

its a new air pump so i cant understand why its so noisy. i need some solutions on how to make it quiet. id rather not buy another one as ive only had this one for about a week

Mine usually make noise when the pump is "touching something"... Double check to make sure it's not touching anything.

You might also try this pump on your other tank and see if it still makes the noise, if it does maybe you should see about returning it.

I hang my air pumps. Mine, at least, have little loops that I thread twist ties into and hang them from the stand so that they aren't touching anything at all.

Mine usually make noise when the pump is "touching something"... Double check to make sure it's not touching anything.

You might also try this pump on your other tank and see if it still makes the noise, if it does maybe you should see about returning it.

the only thing it touches is the blanket it sits on

Try putting a cloth or any soft material under it. I do it for mine and it muffles the sound almost completely.

when I used to use air pumps I always put them in the basement that way you never hear them ,
air pump making noise usually means the plunger bracket is loose or worn
since I'm salt now don't need them any more

Whats an air pump...jk

Ive used those rubber things you open jars with

I think that what ended my short bubble wand career in the 90s

I put the noisy ones upside down cradled on a folded fluffy wash cloth. Like an air pump taco lol. Working on getting only quiet ones to replace the noisy ones.

Can you exchange it for a same kind different one or even yet a better kind? Try it out in the store if it can be exchanged.

Back
Top Bottom