Installing bulkheads and sump...need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have installed bulkheads in my tank and am working underneath piping in the sump and pump. I have everything together but am trying to figure something. Do I glue the PVC into the bulkheads or do I just push them in until snug? I have glued everything else but don't see how I could get the tank off the stand if I had to, we're I to glue the PVC into the bulk head. On the other hand, if I don't glue them, won't they leak? Any help would be appreciated.

You need to glue the pvc pipe into the bulkheads (which should be made of pvc as well). If you don't, the pvc will eventually leak.

Install unions in your supply and return piping and that way you can take it apart if you every have to without cutting it.

Yep, I'd cut a short piece (2" or so) of PVC and glue the union right below the bulkhead... that way if you ever change anything, you can just unscrew it and re-do the plumbing.

I thought of unions. I put one right above the pump and then right above the drain inlet to the sump just in case I needed to take out the pump or sump. I didn't out up high though below the bottom of tank bulkheads. My concern now though is what if I need to take the tank off the stand.

Attachments

• image-1395567097.jpg
    image-1395567097.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 234
  • image-3444850608.jpg
    image-3444850608.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 167
image-3203739301.jpg

Current setup from the front

image-217123384.jpg

My 90 from the back.

image-217123384.jpg

Attachments

• image-877598298.jpg
    image-877598298.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 273
Thanks for the advice. I did go ahead and glue them. I have another question though. After a lot of thought,mi have changed my mind about setting up my first reef and instead am going to use this tank to grow my Livingstonii (African Cichlids). Right now I have 1 male and 2 female. I would like to try to get them to breed. I will probably get another female or two but that will probably be about all I put in this one while keeping all my other Africans in a separate tank.

I have never had a tank with a sump. I have set this up as a wet/dry sump and am curious about maintenance. What do I need to do to maintain the sump and how often? I'm also curious, can I put a heater in the sump rather than the tank?

Neil W.....it appears you have the same sump I just picked up. Have you been happy with it? How did you set yours up? Is that a Berlin?

I'm running a sump on my African tank also. Sure out the heater in there...sumps are great for keeping clutter out if your main tank. As far as maintenance...once its established there is not much maintenance. I do bi weekly water changes. When I do, I shut down the water pump and do the water change from main tank. When that is done i take a minute to check the sump filter pad. If its dirty ill rotate it under the drip plate. If its totally dirty, I cut it up and store it in the sump to seed other tanks. I never throw it out. Over a year running with no problems.

Mcass said:
Neil W.....it appears you have the same sump I just picked up. Have you been happy with it? How did you set yours up? Is that a Berlin?

Mine ins the Proflex 3. I am happy with it so far, but the socks plug up fairly fast, but I have about 5 sets now and rotate them once per week. I have it setup with the refugium in the 2nd chamber and skimmer in the 3rd. SWC 120 outlet into the bubble trap. The only filtration I have in the system basically is live rock and the socks for the the bigger stuff. I also have a bit of filter floss laying over top of my standpipe, it catch quite a lot and makes my tank almost silent. I run the tank with an Aquatronica controller, so far I am very happy with the system, very low maintenance. I just bought a 220g xh tank that I will run from the same controller. If you would like more pictures, I would be happy to post them.

Back
Top Bottom