Is it ok to make custom plumbing for a canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legacy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I ended up with a used canister filter when I bought my 200G tank. The canister is a Fluval 403 and it no longer has it's stock plumbing. I want to scrap what I have and start fresh but I'm not interested in having a spray bar for my paulidarium and I will probably need a custom intake because of the dimensions and water lever of my tank(24" deep, 10"-12" water line).

What I'd like to do is get 2 straight pieces of 18"-20", 3/4", PVC piping with a 90 degree Hose-barb Elbow fitting on top, and either a bulkhead screen or fan-tip on the bottom end. Then I'd connect my 3/4" ID Vinyl Hoses from the Canister to my new fixtures as you normally would with the stock stuff.

Is there anything wrong with doing this? Are their guidelines that I must follow?

Thanks in Advance,
Dave

Shouldn't be anything wrong with it. Just be aware that 90 degree elbows can slow the flow through the pipes, use as few as possible.

as long as it gives plenty of room for water flow, and is sealed tightly, its fine.

you could also look at Custom-Flo plumbing kits, which are assortments of parts that fit any canister.

Using PVC and vinyl hose for tank plumbing is done all the time.

Never, ever, throw out filter parts, especially intake tubes and outflow nozzles, you will be surprised at how many uses you will find for them in the future. Pile them in a box, and when you have a plumbing issue, a trip to the box usually can provide a cure.

Back
Top Bottom