Is my tank safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
After a few years, I just put my old 45 gallon hexagon tank back up into operation. The tank itself is about 10 years old. The glass is plexiglass (I believe...not 100% sure).
My fear and question: will the glass and silicone hold up after all these years? After one day, I haven't noticed any leaks, but am a bit paranoid. I just moved into an apt. and would hate to have the glue break under the pressure of the water and flood.

Thanks!!!

Welcome to AA. And has the tank been kept in a controlled enviorment? I mena has it been stored in a garage or barn or was it stored in your house? If it was stored in a barn then I'd get them checked and quick.

Good storage (reply to 2 cents)

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly...I'm looking forward to participating in AA.
My tank has been kept in a quiet corner of a garage since I've had it down (for about 3-4 years). I've kept it wrapped in bubble tape and left it standing along (nothing stored inside or on top). I've been assured by a sales clerk at my local fish store that these aquarium tanks can last a lifetime, but couldn't trust his level of expertise.
On a side, would it be advisable for me to apply a layer of silicone on the outer edges of the glass, or would this be a waste?

On a side, would it be advisable for me to apply a layer of silicone on the outer edges of the glass, or would this be a waste?
That would be a waste. Maybe a new layer over the original layer (after being cleaned) but I wouldn't bother.

More than likely it's ok. However it's your choice, if you feel that you don't want to trust it then you need to remove all the old and replace it with new.

If it's plexiglass/acrylic, silicone won't bond to it anyway. I think it will be fine. Fill it up on the front porch and let it sit for a couple of days, checking for leaks each day.

If it's plexiglass/acrylic, silicone won't bond to it anyway

Hmmm, Hadn't thoough about that. If it's not glass then Kevin is correct. fill it up on the front porch and let er rip. It's probally fine.

Back
Top Bottom