Is old tank safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some of you may have read my introduction message. My boss is offering me an old 55 gallon tank with rod iron stand for free. Woot!

I'm a little worried though. He tells me he bought it used in the 80's and guesses it is around 30 years old. Its been sitting in his garage for a good 15 years with no water in it. He's going to fill it with hose water and wait a good week to see if there are any leaks (best boss in the world?). Assuming it doesn't leak, is this thing going to be safe or is 30 years long enough that I should reseal the whole thing? He tells me the glass is good and thick.

Also, i'm sure the poor tank will be covered in garage soot/grime. Is a vinegar solution the right solution to safely clean all the scum off it?

Thanks all. Its been a few days since I signed up to this site and I cant stop reading it!

You are getting the tank for free, I would spend $10 on some aquarium silicon and seal it up -- will give you peace of mind if nothing else.

Vingar is fine to clean it with. Depending on how bad it it you can use a razor blade too.

Since the tank is about 30 years old is it one of those with the slate bottom and stainless steel frame around it? If it is time to research on the stuff they used to seal them. I remember back then it was nasty nasty black goo stuff.

I agree these forum are great!

Many thanks to the both of you! My generous grantor says the tank is regular glass with a silicon seal. Perhaps it's not as old as he thinks it is. He also offered me a 95 gallon tank but I'm not a great swimmer and likely to drown in something that size.

Back
Top Bottom