JBJ ATO Float modification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I haven't bought it yet, but it looks like the floats in the JBJ ATO are held in place via a bracket that hangs over the top of the tank. I'm not a big fan of that type of fastener, and was wondering if anyone has mod'd their floats to use a magnet, similar to the Tunze ATO.

You are correct that the float brackets are over the rim style. I haven't made that mod, but it should be pretty easy to do.

Are you running the floats in tank or in sump? I have one float in the reservoir and another in the sump. (You can set the JBJ with one float or two, with the second set up as a shut off or top line fill OR as a shut off when the water level drops in your reservoir to keep from burning up your transfer pump.) Since this is all in a cabinet, the look doesn't matter to me here.

I have a 20G nano, sumpless, so one float will be in the tank, the other in the reservoir. It's only the tank float that I really care about, and want to make sure a rare-earth magnet won't cause the float any harm.

It's a mechanical float, so I can't imagine it would.

i don't think it comes out until later this month, but have you looked at any of the information on the Hydor Smart Level Control? I saw a video on it from Mr. SaltwaterTank, and it looked like it would be ideal for nanos.

I just saw the video on YouTube. I wonder if it has the auto-shut off on the pump to keep it from running dry the way the JBJ does. This is definitely much more compact for a nano tank.

I just saw Mark's video on it, very nice indeed. I might have to put off my JBJ purchase to see when this comes out and for how much.

I suppose a simple float in the reservoir to kill power to the whole controller might take care of the dry reservoir problem, unless it's built-in somehow, but it doesn't appear to be.

What I've seen indicates the price point is somewhere between $80 and $100. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any safety to kill the pump if the reservoir level drops. However, if you were using an Aqualifter, it wouldn't matter as that is a diaphragm pump, and won't be damaged if it were to run dry.

Back
Top Bottom