LED lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're going to end up spending more money than you think anyway, tategrant. Either you are going to spend it on lighting or on dead corals. The cheap lights for 50-100 on ebay that say coral lps/sps are lies. The tao is the lowest i would go from my research. I have been trying to switch from metal halide to LEDs and have been reading non-stop to make sure i don't switch to something that kills all of my corals. The way you inquire about coral leads me to believe you will be sticking them in the tank and trust me it hurts to lose even a $10 frag and will drive some people from pursuing the hobby. Choose what fits your budget but you will lose you're investment if you put corals under those lights.

The marine land ones are ok. Anything you want as long as you aren't keeping photosynthetic creatures.

Why aren't these good for photosynthetic creatures? I just put the 36"-48" marineland leds over my 40 g breeder tank.

They are weak. Only 1 watt LEDs. They don't penetrate very well. Only good for medium light corals in a shallow tank.

Great. More money wasted on this **** tank. This hobby is so frustrating. Am I better off going back to the T5 HO lights I had? I don't have any coral or anemones yet/anymore, but I do have plants. I would like to eventually have an anemone for my clowns to host.

I would look for one with 30 blue and 25 white, and if you don't use the 90 degree optics, you can get away with 1.

I like the blue and white ones. It's a matter of personal preference though. If you like the extra colors, then that's the one for you. Both will work fine.

mr x, whats the difference between these: 2 Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light White US | eBay and the lights you have posted on the first page of this thread..
Here is your link:
New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black US | eBay

Only thing i can see is, the ones i found are half the price and the color of the housing is white, everything else seems to be the same as the ones you listed..wattage, size, number of leds etc..

I just want to make sure i buy the right set of lights when im ready to get them..

Okies, my turn to hijack and ask a question or two. :)

I need to get a dimmable version of the tao led's, my non dimmable has melted many of my corals. :-(

It is going over a 24 x 24 rimless. I have the hardware already set up for the current tao and its about a foot off the water, the highest I could get it unfortunately.

I'd like the full spectrum ones but if the regular dimmable ones are the way you think I should go Mr. X I will go with what you suggest. I also want the fixture in black, the one you linked above for just blue/white comes in a white housing.

Thanks so much, sorry to interrupt the thread. lol I just won a half dozen corals and am officially outta room in the biocube so the 60g needs lights.

Rickybobby- Just the color of the casing. The guy who's link I posted seemed to change the price for some odd reason. Do a little googling and you'll find you can purchase this fixture anywhere from $120.00 to $179.00, as you have found.

Carey- I also have mostly non-dimmable units over my tank and have found that after months of acclimation, most every coral has gotten used to the intense light. I noticed that anemones and some LPS need a much longer acclimation....perhaps many months is necessary.
Right now I have a LTA, green carpet, and 2 green BTA's in the back tank which are acclimating. I'm at 100% blue and about 60% white right now and they are doing fine.

Eventually, you will have your dimmable unit at full power, so I say, why spend the money on a dimmable unit when you can either raise it up a bit higher (temporarily) or perhaps cover some of the diodes with tape....

As for the colors v.s. blue and white models, I would suggest you look at both in person if possible and make your own decision about aesthetics. My main point about them is that you don't need the colors as far as I've seen. I have 1 species of montipora that has still had trouble coloring up under the straight blue and white units, but the other 10 montis are beautiful. Is this because of the colors? I don't think so.

Thanks mr x. That's what I thought. The prices I have found are all over the place for the same exact lights. Ill take the white casings for a $100.00 less .lol. Best price so far that I have found for 2 lights is about 250. Which isn't too bad..I thinks it's time too buy at that price.. Thanks again x

As usual, Thanks X!

I currently have a light diffusing piece of plastic over the 60g with the led's as I had to put a torch coral in the tank last night cause I was outta space in the cube. It hasnt opened up yet, hope he does ok

Back
Top Bottom