Need equipment. Tank system too basic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait_Ls1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I've been posting here lately about my blenny dying. While I don't think it has anything to do with my filtration system or anything I think I need to upgrade since I've added more stuff to the tank since I bought it. I've got a 55 gallon saltwater. All I'm using is a hang on marineland penguin biowheel 350 filter made for a larger tank. I think that's a lot better than the one that came with it. Something from Wal Mart. Horrible horrible system but some how the tank managed. It's almost 6 years old and I'm pretty sure it had been set up for that long just like that. The only other equipment that's used for the tank is a really cheap protein skimmer. Seriously cheap. Hang on too btw.

I'm ready to get a sump set up. Obviously I'll need to get a overflow box bc the tank set up doesn't have a built in one. What's the best possible way of going about getting a sump proper for my 55 gallon and what kind of protein skimmer. It'd definitely clean up having all the filter and heater and protein skimmer hanging inside the tank. If anyone has anything reliably cheap I could take off therir hands let me know. It's worth asking. Thx for everyones help

Wow! You guys rock! Thx for the feedback!
Welllll. I went to my uncle's house and he gave me a sump set up. Got it home and clears it up. But it's too wide too fit inside my stand. Any suggestions. The sump is for sure too large. And actually it's probably bigger than my tank needs. Should I take it to the fish shop and see if the credit me for a smaller one.

If you can find room for it the extra large sump will add a larger buffer for maintaining water quality. If it was me I'd look at upgrading the stand before downgrading the sump.

Do you know how big it actually is?

Edit: Also, below is a diagram of a DIY siphon box for an overflow for a tank without holes drilled, from http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-overflow/70.asp

overflow.gif

Mine didnt fit under my stand either, I relocated one behind the tank wall in another room and the other sump for my 55 is BEHIND the stand. Either upgrade the stand or put it behind the tank,thus leaving the stand wide open for access and other equipment if needed?

Called him back and we talked about it. He has two tanks. A 90 or so, I can't remember exactly and a 55 which I have a 55. The guy he bought the 55 from knocked out the center board that is vertical. And it doesn't even have a center board on the front either and the stand does just fine. He upgraded the sump on his larger tank and someone else told Jim he'd have to knock the center piece out as well. He done it and had no problems. We talked and he thinks we should be ok taking out that center board. That way I can slip the sump underneath the stand. I'll have to dremel the lip on the bottom of the stand as well so the sump will lay flat. What do you guys think of this process?

Thanks to the two of you guys responding and especially the diagram!

I wouldnt modify something that holds 440 pounds. Its put there for a stability reason.

Kinda what I thought. But how can both of my uncles stands not have that back piece and the 55 doesn't have the back piece or the front piece where the doors meet and it does just fine.

One good bump or hard vibration and it wont. It might just give out one day and snap too. Thats too much water to be messing around with.

Yeah sumps come in all shapes and sizes, well not all shapes but sizes. If you can find NOVA PRO's do it they are some of the best and they arent being made anymore.

Id just put the sump behind the tank, maybe move it to a corner and put it on an angle. its not wasted space behind there and gives you ample room to do things both above,under,front and back. I keep a torch lamp behind the sump behind my tank just cause I didnt want the wife to win the argument on space.

Heck 15g of water on the floor is scary I couldnt imagine 55 or if my 210 ruptured.

The way my house is set up my tank can only go against the wall one way! :( that sucks. But also means I don't have ample room to upgrade to a bigger tank.
Hmm. I'll have too look around. The thing about it is my stand is exactly 12" wide so it's the same width as the tank. The sump is about 13" wide. And about 4 inches longer than half the length of the stand. So the brace is completely in the way. It's gonna be hard trying to find a smaller sump. Now I just need a proper sized overflow box for a 55 gallon and I do take donations!

And Whitedevil, thanks for the help your giving me!

You could make your own stand. I did on my 210 because the stand that came with it was too tall for me to work in the tank and enjoy it better.
I use a CPR100 overflow, check aquabid and ebay for them. they run around 100 brand new.
Did you take the tank off and try and put the sump in that way?

No worries, I just built 3 tanks with sumps all with same issue, sometimes spending 50 bucks to make your own from start to finish is worth it.

Don't have the required tools to build one honestly. I tried putting the sump in at every angle but it's just too wide to fit for the tank. The tank is an established 6 years atleast now tank. I've owned it alone for almost a year now. I'm just tired of the hang on filter and the fact that I have to put water in thru the top of the tank. It's a pain.

No offense, but if topping off a tank via the top and cleaning an hob filter is a pain, then adding a sump will just be more work for you. In a 55g you can easily have a nice system with an hob skimmer (save your pennies) and 25%-50% bi-monthly water changes. Even with a sump, you'll still end up purchasing a skimmer most likely, which will add to cost and possibly other frustrations. More biology, less technology : P

I understand. I guess it's not a pain honestly. I have a horrible protein skimmer that's completely junk basically. It's got a sticker on it that says precision marine systems. I am going to upgrade that soon but I hate everything hanging in the inside of my tank.

I hate everything hanging in the inside of my tank.

Thats a great reason to use a sump :)

I'm not very experienced with building sumps, but I've heard of people using buckets or whatnot. Since it's hidden it doesn't have to look nice, it just has to be functional. Thats means use an aquarium safe container, and if it's plastic, make sure your heater won't melt a hole in it.

Back
Top Bottom