New to SW need a tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Epaulette Shark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a newbe to SW but I have been keeping FW for a couple years. I have a FW 150 gallon Chiclid tank now. I am wanting to venture off into SW.

My goal is to have a 300 tank with 1 maybe 2 Epaulette sharks or Brownbanded Bamboo sharks.

What size tank do I need to start my SW Adventure off with?

I do not reccomend sharks to a newbie and I guess they would need a bigger tank than 300 gallons.I think they would need a tank about 600 gallons.

I would rather not start off with sharks. I would rather get my tank stable and my bioload going with something cheaper then about a $50-$100 Shark W/ Shipping.

From what I have read they can live in a 300 gal. But if that would be to small I would do a bigger tank something like mid 300's or 400 gal. I don't want to put stress on my sharks because of a small tank. I want him or them to have plenty of room to have fun.

sharks need ALOT of room and EXCELLENT filtration.You clould probably fit one in a 400 gal. Where did you read that you could put sharks in a 300? Overall I am still against having sharks in home aquaria.

In my

Aquarium-Sharks & Rays book ( by Scott W. Michael)

along with many, many Web pages

Alot of web pages says that you can keep One Aduilt Brownbanded Bamboo 3-3.5Ft. long in a 260 gal. tank.

If you search for them you will find out alot of information about them.

The question is, Can a 3.5 foot long shark really live well in a 300 gallon tank? I honestly don't know the standard dimensions of a 300, or if they are all custom. i know my parents jacuzzi is 250-300 gallons and I think a 3 foot shark would be very cramped.

Here is a listing that I found for ONE brand, but like I just said this is one brand and most of these tanks are Tall tanks!

Rectangular

L W H
240 Gallon Reg 96 x 24 x 24
300 Gallon Tall 96 x 24 x 30
360 Gallon Tall 96 x 24 x 36
500 Gallon Tall 96 x 24 x 48

Note: These tank sizes were taken from www.myfishtank.com

Well what you could do is get the 300gal put something in it like a puffer or small ray, then if they do fine then you could add a shark.

There is a wonderful article on keeping sharks in the home aquarium in this months issue of tropical fish hobbiest. I recommend picking this up and reading it before making any further plans.

That is close to what I was thinking seafan!

Thanks Hara I will be sure to look for it at my LBS!

I am going to try and get a few so called Starter fish that should be compatable with my shark. I still have a good while before I ever start on this SW adventure. But it's never to early to start learn and plaining about a project like this.

I am not a person that likes to buy a fish and then get rid of it, unless one or the other is getting picked on.

That is a good Idea, just remember rushing in to anything will only cause headaches. Give the tank at least a few months of successful fish keeping before adding a shark. I like little clearnose skates, they can actually clean the sand for you.

And remember with a bioload like that a good cycle is important.
Also with a shark you need alot of filtration, how about a sump? Message Quarry Shark, he has experience in this area.

Oh yes I am going to have at least a year before I even start buying for this adventure. I am just trying to get started on plaining and learning now. instead of doing so when I am setting it up. Never hurts to start early, like seafan said "don't rush into anything."

I will build a sump for this one. I like to make sure that I have more filtration then the book says.

Even though the shark is only 3.5 foot it still needs room to move.. I'd recommend a 9ft plus in length.. and minimum absolute minimum 500gal for one shark.. but i believe they should be left in the ocean or public aquariums..

I've seen healthy bamboo sharks in 300-400 gallon tanks. The trick is having all dimensions at least a foot longer than the maximum size of the shark.
I have an Idea:
How about very little LR in the aquarium, instead have like a five inch DSB with sand sifters. In the sump should be like 200-300 lbs of LR, to make up for the rest of the biological filtration. This ensures the shark has plenty of swimming room.

Yeah I have only seen the bamboos in person. They were 8" and 10" Juv though
and they both where in a 10 gallon tank at a FS!

Back
Top Bottom